I Am From

I am from motorcycle shows and hot summer nightsFrom piercings and ugly flower wallpaperI am from Mr. B's class and embarrassing Halloween costumesFrom long nights spent driving around with firefightersI am from a dull suburb and a quirky blonde momFrom pizzerias and a gym that smell of chalk and sweatI am from crazy haircuts and difficult math homeworkFrom the pain of first earrings and doodling on papersI am from a scary second floor and painted fingernailsFrom loud roaring engines and flip-flopsI am from Italians and IrishmenFrom a huge step family and an ever-vibrating cell phoneI am from the "fire girls" and skinny jeansFrom art classes and the school bandI am from long intimate conversations with close friendsFrom Converse and the fad of rolling backpacksI am from Vocab sheets and lots of lip glossFrom a messy room and ponytailsI am from team hoodies and sparkly leosFrom fruity chewing gum and chorus classI am from a public school system and semi-snowy wintersFrom coffee runs and posters of rock bandsI am from giant stuffed animals and radiant smilesFrom tears and laughter that made me who I am