Taken

Taken

A life can be taken
It doesn’t matter by what
It is taken by
It only matters
That it can be
Taken

Death is easy to give
Nature does it all the time
Creatures killed in the woods
Their lives
Taken

We say we’re human
But is that just another animal
Waiting for the kill
Waiting for a life to be
Taken

Creatures use their bodies
Using themselves
To take a life
So they can
Live to repeat it again
Tomorrow
Unless their life is
Taken

But humans
We don’t do that
We could write a book
On the ways a life can be
Taken

Hung in the gallows
Shot on site
Drive bys
Poison
Are a few ways
A life can be
Taken

What reason is there
To kill another
Member of the human
Race
To get their life
Taken

A life is easy
To take
But hard
To give back
It’s easy to get your life
Taken

How can we
Be
So cruel
To just let
Other’s lives be
Taken

PaRaNoRmAl627 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i really like the message of this poem, but i think that sometimes it doesnt quite flow right. its very intelligent and everything, i just had a hard time finding the rhythm sometimes. overall, good job though. i liked it :)

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I love what you've done in this poem. I'm kind of wondering the same question you posed here. I actually thought it flowed pretty well, and the repitition of the word 'taken' worked very well. Good job!!

Snake_Tounge said...
Excellent :) I am guessing you are a vegitarian??? :)

Yuelong replied...
i'm not vegitarian, i like meat too much for that. but i do hate people sometimes...

Snake_Tounge replied...
Aug. 1, 2011 at 12:37 am
Oh okay ... just thought cause of the whole reference to killing animals ..... fair enough :)

katie-cat said...
I agree with banangela29.  The idea for the poem is really interesting and unique, but the words don't flow very well.  They're a little bit choppy.  But it's still really good.  I like the powerful voice that you eject into your poem.  I like how you ended each stanza with 'taken.'  That was really cool. :)

Yuelong replied...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 11:54 am
really? i seriously thought that my other poems flowed even worse than this one did. and i sort of meant it that way. ^.^' *sigh*

banangela29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You know, i think this poem had a good idea, but it just didnt flow well enough for me. It seemed choppy, especially at the end of stanzas when you would say "taken". Smooth it out and it should be significantly better