Sunbeams and Deceit MAG

I was once told never to look directly at the sun,
for its light,
so bright,
is capable of blinding.
But I'll admit,
every now and then I sneak peeks at the fire burning so relentlessly in the sky,
hoping maybe I'll find out what light really looks like.
But eyes squinting, nose scrunching,
I turn away helplessly.
You burn, you melt, you blind,
and yet I follow you wherever you go.
Never looking you directly in the eye, never questioning, never knowing.
Why put myself in such a position?
Frail, vulnerable, exposed.
But does it matter?
Burning my skin, melting my heart, blinding my judgment.
Pulling me by the sleeve to wherever I can be drenched in your weightless radiance.

on Mar. 3 2013 at 5:21 pm
ChrisJ PLATINUM, Rochester, New York

"Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.”
- Martin Luther King Jr.

Creative and inventive, reallly good job!

on Mar. 3 2013 at 2:31 am
SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

That was amazing. Your words fit perfectly and the way you tell that tale is awesome! Congratulations on making the mag!

Meagan8118 said...
on Feb. 7 2011 at 8:25 am
Meagan8118,
I loved the personification of the sun, it was very clever. I liked the opening sentence, it pulled me in.

dimediva95 said...
on Feb. 3 2011 at 7:42 am
dimediva95, Easley, South Carolina
I really loved this poem.  I could relate to this in many ways; and I love how you made it a reality.  The way you explained what you were told not to do, then compared it to being hurt by someone made it very unique.  This poem is very exceptional. 

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!