Sunbeams and Deceit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By , Evanston, IL
I was once told never to look directly at the sun,
for its light,
so bright,
is capable of blinding.
But I'll admit,
every now and then I sneak peeks at the fire burning so relentlessly in the sky,
hoping maybe I'll find out what light really looks like.
But eyes squinting, nose scrunching,
I turn away helplessly.
You burn, you melt, you blind,
and yet I follow you wherever you go.
Never looking you directly in the eye, never questioning, never knowing.
Why put myself in such a position?
Frail, vulnerable, exposed.
But does it matter?
Burning my skin, melting my heart, blinding my judgment.
Pulling me by the sleeve to wherever I can be drenched in your weightless radiance.

ChrisJ This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Creative and inventive, reallly good job!

SaphiraBrightscales This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:31 am
That was amazing. Your words fit perfectly and the way you tell that tale is awesome! Congratulations on making the mag!

Meagan8118 said...
Feb. 7, 2011 at 8:25 am
I loved the personification of the sun, it was very clever. I liked the opening sentence, it pulled me in.

dimediva95 said...
Feb. 3, 2011 at 7:42 am
I really loved this poem.  I could relate to this in many ways; and I love how you made it a reality.  The way you explained what you were told not to do, then compared it to being hurt by someone made it very unique.  This poem is very exceptional.