Give Me a Name

I will just sit here in this window frame
Being looked in and out of
Sprayed with nasty, smelly, soap stuff and wiped with a scratchy rag
People have put me in their stones before but only so a baseball can smash in and break me to pieces
I look into a beautiful English class room
Always watching kids learn, read and write
I look out to a basketball court, a foot ball field and to Wylie across the way
People don't realize that without me they would be freezing on a winter day
Sweating in the summer sun
Their class would be full of leaves in fall, that would not be fun
People would be all wet from the rain that comes in the spring
I often feel left out when people close the blinds or cover me with paper
My space feels invaded when people put their dirty fingers, hand and faces on me
My space feels taken away when people hang things on me and stick tape to me
People don't realize that I'm the one that lets the light in when it's day time and the powers out
People don't realize, but would be lost without me
Yet, People don't even give me a name.

brax34 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 11, 2010 at 11:35 am
Really really good, but i find that if you write about things that mean more to people (death, love, family, ect.) the poem becomes more powerful, this being about english class takes away from its wonder, maybe if it was about something intense during english class... (idk, just a suggestion)

Valerie1234 replied...
Haha yeah, I get what you mean.  I also have a lot of other poem about love and frienship and such.  I would have to admit, this probably isn't my best piece.  But thank you so much :)  And I will deffinatly try and post a lot more new stuff this summer.  Keep checking up on any new stuff I might have :) THanks

AndTheVinesSpin said...

You know what's funny? This is insightful, and I don't think you even realize it lol. When I read this, I don't just see you writing as a window, but I look at it from a human perspective too. It really is great, and accidentally wise =] five stars for you.

[And thank you so much for commenting on my poem, I always return the favour. It means so much to me. keep writing =]