Black Chameleon Mask

“I am a man who wears a mask
black as a shadow in the night.
It hides colors that swirl beneath,
blends me in with the crowd.
A cloak to what really is,
Veiling reality unseen…”

Glide unto the floor, keep the mask on straight
don’t let your true face be seen beneath.
Fall into the steps
fade into the crowd
keep your eyes down
and maybe they won’t notice
that sometimes your steps falter
your dance keeps drifting off.
But it’s hard to keep balanced
When blinded by a mask.
Maybe let a few see under……

Getting nervous now,
did they peek?
Did that moment of weakness
reveal to all what lies beneath
that dark chameleon mask
which shrouds all but your eyes
do they know that their norm
is but a lie you wear to hide
hide that which makes you you,
but when removed throws
rainbows in their sight!

DreamWriter15 said...
Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:49 am
I love it!  The imagery is stunning and mysterious, and reminds me of a book I've read time and time again and loved, but was a sad book.  And it's sad to say that though this is a beautiful poem, I know what you speak of, and that makes me sad.  So it is like that sad yet cherished book.  Love it!

crawfordkid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you.

JeanGrey said...
Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:51 am
*claps and hollers excitedly* Awesomeness, Craw. Pure, unrefined awesomeness....in a can....no preservatives...yep lol

Thanks Jean! I'm glad there's no preservatives - but what about high fructose corn syrup? ;-)

Jandee said...
Very, very nice. This is absolutely wonderful for your first poem. My first was... six lines long. It was very short very plain and blunt. You should certainly keep writing. This would be a confessional poem, correct? Do you plan on writing/have you written any more?

Thanks Jandee, I appreciate it. It is a confessional poem, but I didn't expect anyone to be able to tell what it was confessing...was it obvious? Yeah, I have a few more pending approval, and am working on one more.  Anyway, thanks for reading!

Asianflowers said...
May 28, 2010 at 4:48 am
Awesome! That was really good! You've got a real creative side to you. I could really relate to this one :) Anyway I hope to see more like this. :)

Thanks, I've got a few more submitted, just waiting for approval!
Oh, and the top section (lines 1 - 6) weren't really formatted that way.  They were intended to be centered and italicized seperately above the rest of the poem - sort of like a prequel poem. ;-)
Anyway, thanks!