supernova This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

we're stars, baby, fizzling in the sky,
so caught up in our own bone-crushing mass
and obsessed with our own intensity
that we keep forgetting

even stars die, but we're not gonna fade
when we croak, we're gonna explode
like mentos in a coke bottle,
bleeding plumes of rainbow smoke
bursting with light so brilliant,
your eyes will sting for years after

when we're done blowing ourselves the hell up
you'll wade into that glittery ashtray
as it smolders with stardust
the birthplace of another star

and what do you think is gonna happen to
that star?

another red giant, another supernova

another burn out

call us reckless idiots
but close your eyes and picture us
in all our shining, arrogant glory

and when you're still years away
from winking silently into oblivion,
we'll see who
remembers
whom

ihearandomusic said...
Hello, my name is Taylor. Excuse my awkward greeting, but I'm never really good at them. Anyway, I didn't read your poem first here, I read it on the Missouri Youth Write 2011 pdf they sent us. I was a Gold Key winner, too, and I'm not sure if you were at the ceremony, but they would have only read your Gold piece, and not your Honorable Mention. When I was checking the pdf out today, however, I was pretty bored, and started searching random words in the 357 page monster like "lightning," and "a... (more »)

PenguinFeet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 14, 2010 at 1:20 am

Dear Sarah,

I read your poem in the print magazine and I was enraptured. It's cut out and on my bedroom window now. Thank you so much.

I'm not sure what about the poem I like the most. the tone, for sure. the ending. The imagery. It's terribly good. I am so impressed.

Yes.

miss-silverwing This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 24, 2010 at 10:23 am

Hi PenguinFeet,

I'm so sorry it took me so long to reply! But I want you to know how happy your review made me. =) I was already proud of this poem, but it makes me immeasurably happy to know that you liked it just that much.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

Sincerely,

Sarah