They Don’t Know This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

They don't know.

They don't know the reason I smell like

Chanel perfume.

It's because I save the paper perfume samplers in
my grandma's Macy's catalog and
make them

last.

Each day.

They don't know the reason I come to school with perfectly

curled hair

every morning.

It's because
I dance in the rain

at midnight

and sleep with my hair

in braids.

They can't know.

InkWriter13 said...
I like the structure you chose; it works well with your message. Great poem. Very touching, very revealing, very real. Great work. Would you please comment on my poems titled the Girl and Remind Me? I would really appreciate it! :D

InkWriter13 said...

eliana924 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow I really like the idea underlying this. And the linebreaks are also very interesting.

Lady-Milano said...
it's easy to judge when you're looking from the outside. funny how we always think we know it all. i loved your poem.

musiccrazy said...
Oct. 27, 2011 at 9:05 am
Really good. Makes me think about what I don't know about people. The secrets they must keep hidden. really cool.

BieberLover16 said...
Oct. 27, 2011 at 7:32 am
I loved it!!!!

Lexie96 said...
Oct. 27, 2011 at 6:01 am
This is a good poem and it makes me think more about what I believe I know about others. Check out my work sometime?

bethmoftw. said...

hmm..

it has me wondering what don't we know? super good keep it oging.

Wellington This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
thanks for the comment(:

roxymutt said...
I agree with GoodMorningSweetheart! it is almost impossible to point out flaws in poetry because it is all suseptible to the writer as well as the reader...i also agree that i would love to read more of this!

GoodmorningSweetheart said...
Poetry I feel is impossible to critique. There is no wrong way to do poetry. "They Don't Know"'s fleeting thoughts is simple but lovely. You should add the other verses. Why can't they know? Who or what is she trying to hide?

Wellington This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 6, 2010 at 9:57 am
thanks for the comment. the real idea of this poem is that perceptions of people can be deceiving. here is this girl who everyone thinks is rich, stuck-up, and has a perfect life, but she's really simple, poor, and a little bit crazy. 

DanceAwayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is amazing! omg soo good one of the best ive read on teen ink!

-Kal- replied...
I, unfortunatley, have to disagree with the others. It's not that it is bad, but it is disjointed and confusing to the point to where I don't really know what is going on. If you write more and possibly change the spacing of this poem, I think it will be really good. Let me know if you do! :)

dianaforfree said...
gorgeous! ♥