A Soldier's Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He holds me close, careful not to make a sound.
We see the bombs explode before us, but we still press on.
We try to stay well hidden, knowing that the slightest movement will get us killed.
He gives me a meal, and speaks to me softly, I know out here I am all he has.
He talks about a wife and kid, I know he misses them. I look at him understandingly, thinking about my family back home. He isn't alone.
Orders are given for us to move on, I walk ahead, until I can't see anymore, and we are surrounded by smoke.
I hear someone yell grenade, and there is no time to run. I pick it up running it to the enemy's side
I turn around to run back before it explodes, but there is no time.
He runs to me with tears in his eyes, I know I am going to die, and he can see it too.
He holds me close crying, like a boy who just lost his dog.
I thump my tail one last time, and lick his tears away, before passing away. Covering me up he whispers to me “You truly are an Angel.”

JessJess96 said...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 11:57 am
Oh my goodness. So pretty. I almost started crying!

Alice_Capel said...
my brother is in the army, too. He's leaving his little girl to serve others and our country. We all know the risk. And reading this it just shows that they(all the soldier) are making the right decision

Valor This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
When I wrote this poem it was in memory of a war dog named Angel, who was with my cousins platoon. She saved my cousins life, and for this I can't repay her. Even though the Angel in this poem story isn't a real dog, or the action completed are not real, the dog that inspired this is close to my heart forever.

TheWolfJem replied...
Oct. 2, 2011 at 11:51 am
Really? Man, your cousins platoon was really lucky to have that dog.