Gardening This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Mama
I grew people today
Sowed them row on row
Cultivated their little bodies
Caressed their hair, talked to them in a
soft voice
so they may grow tall and able-bodied
ready for war

I grew them with machine guns
programmed into each man's bundle of
double helixes
like a mugful of dried magnolias
Plopped them into the ground, one by one
interred for the next nineteen months
in the womb of the earth
full of nutrients, juicy worms
A warmth diffusing from the center's sun

I water them delicately, give them a cool shower
and watch the water dribble down their
naked bodies
and into the sullen mouth of the belly button
Between the bend at the elbow
and past the knees, leaving trails of
goose bumps
Their slender bodies shiver between the shoulder blades.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the November 2010 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

baciobecca said...
This is an absolutely breathtaking poem. I haven't seen anything like this in a long time. The imagery and diction is very original and thoughtful. I don't even have a favorite part! Every line is a wonder. You have a gift! 

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow, this poem was not what I expected when I read the title and the first two lines before clicking on it! I love how it's so descriptive and somewhat dark, but also innocent because of the "Mama" at the beginning. I use the word "dark" for lack of a better word, but I like this!