Sidewalk Chalk This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

When I was a kid
My mom would trace my shadow on the sidewalk
And I'd color me in.

When I was a kid
I created feelings onto my own silhouette
Imagine that.

If I was a kid now, like I was before
I'd sit down with chalk again and draw a hundred lines through my heart
And cry, my love.

And cry, and cry, and cry.

sbets said...

I love your play on shadows. This poem is really sad, but also unique and meaningful. Great job! Keep writing!

Please read, rate, and comment on my poems! Thanks!

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It's sad, but holds great meaning. We all sometimes feel this way...you've captured it~

eekervill said...
i really like this :) its simple but its like the shadow behind it holds way more meaning than it will ever tell...

amaranth178 said...
I, suddenly, have this urge to go and color in my silhouette. That was, again, poignant, in terms of expression (of emotions, not discounting the wording).

psychokidd said...
this is really simple yet beautiful and powerful. great job =)

ThisLitIsBananas This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 2, 2010 at 8:39 am
Amazing. Simply amazing. I love the line "color me in". Incredible.

Eilatan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 3, 2010 at 5:43 am

Thank you!

I try to write things that others can connect to and I'm very glad you took the time to read my poem.

babyrae said...

I remember coloring myself with sidewalk chalk too! 

I really like how the imagery in this is really strong, like I can so clearly picture a little girl coloring in the street, and then the same girl years later.

Really awesome. Nice job.

Thank you so much!

I'm really glad to hear that somebody understands what I'm talking about and can relate to it!