Egg with tears

I ate a hard-boiled egg this morning
Took an hour and a half to dye-
The most beautiful, six-color stained glass shell
So hard to crack, was it a sign?
Took the egg into lunch yesterday to show my friends
But they don’t love me, so what would they care?
They looked at my egg for a second and then looked away
I couldn’t eat it for lunch, I was too attached.

I ate a hard-boiled egg this morning
Took an hour and a half to dye
Two days to get attached to
And one minute to eat up with salt.

So now the beautiful stained-glass shell lies broken
Into flakes and pieces on my plate
Just like my heart.

MayaElyashiv This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 6, 2010 at 11:57 am:

Ah, this poem really annoys me! Not because of the message/story/idea, which I love! But because of the last line our of every four. It felt to me while reading that the first three lines would fit together perfectly and then the fourth would jar everything out of place.

You may have meant that to happen, and if you did, it's a genius way to make the poem feel broken. However, if you didn't, it takes away from the story of the poem.

Let... (more »)

AbbyQ This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 6, 2010 at 2:42 am:
I love this! Love it love it love it! Nicely done.

bethmoissocoollike said...
May 4, 2010 at 10:09 am:
At first I was reading this and thought "Why is this person writing about a hard boiled egg? ..Odd" Yeah, well then I finished it and realize what you're getting at with the crushing of the heart and crushing of the egg! At least I think... But good poem either way. =]

Eilatan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm :

Yeah, the crushing of the egg is supposed to symbolize the crushing of the heart. I can see how it must have seemed random at the beginning. :-)

Thank you for commenting!

amaranth178 replied...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 11:14 pm :
The 'randomness' is part of the intrigue, I think. I liked this poem as well, mainly because of the way you portrayed the dominant emotion--through a colorful hard-boiled egg. Creative :)

ThisLitIsBananasThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 2, 2010 at 8:39 am:
I really love this. The emotion really shows through - great job.

May 3, 2010 at 5:41 am :
Thank you so much for commenting!