someday we will have our wings This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

when i was young, i wanted to be a bird

[we loved
because we were children
and didn't know about sin yet.
when we played house,
you made a dinner of weeds and acorns
while i rocked the baby to sleep.
we dreamed of flying
and neverland.]

when i was older, i settled for being a pilot
[we loved
secretly, because we were sinners
and what we wanted was hated by god.
but when you sneaked into my room,
you made me forget, with weed and muttered arguments,
that our happiness was evil.
we dreamed of escape
and los angeles.]
now, i don't believe in compromise – i will not settle for borrowed wings
[we love
because we have no fear of the sun,
and we no longer believe in sin.
our house is hazily scented
with the incense of aged hopes and dreams,
burning softly with the knowledge that our time will come.
we dream of wedding bands
and the laughter of our children.]

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 3 at 6:19 pm:
If I could hug this poem, I would...more than infinity. The emotion, the images, the flashbacks are jewels that can only be appreciated and loved. I love how you used the same details throughout the poem. I think this poem isn't just about the LGBT community. It definitely does deeper than that. Overrall, 5/5 from me. 

ThursdayAngelus said...
I really loved this! the hat in society destroyed the innocence of two kids in love, and crushed their dreams... you have official made me sad. But anyway, it's good to see people speaking out against prejudice.

ThursdayAngelus replied...
Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:01 pm :
i meant hate, not hat.

Aderes18 said...

Great poem!

I can relate to it in so many ways! 

AndTheVinesSpin said...
Apr. 30, 2010 at 7:10 am:
This is beautiful. Stomp out the prejudice.

oracle-of-nonsense This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 30, 2010 at 8:13 pm :
Thank you. I'm trying. :]

the.kanguru This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 30, 2010 at 12:15 am:
beautifully written :) I like the comparison between the pure childhood view of their relationship and what society makes them believe later on.

Apr. 30, 2010 at 8:14 pm :
I'm glad you noticed that. It was one of the things I tried to epmhasize. Thank you for taking the time to comment. :]

jonas_chic899 said...
ohhh goodness, i lov the pattern in this!!! ur a great writer!

Bummble_Be3 said...
Very interesting, gets you thinking but the brackets were a lil confusing. . . good idea though.

Apr. 29, 2010 at 7:53 pm :
If I could have kept the format it was originally in, the brackets would probably be less of a problem, but this website has little html support, so that didn't work out well. Thank you for the comment. :)

*~Lynx~* said...
The prejuidcie in thic country is outstanding and you have captured the dreams of smae-sex couples well... GREAT JOB!!!

Apr. 30, 2010 at 8:08 pm :
I'm glad I managed to do that. Thank you. :]

*~Lynx~* replied...
Apr. 30, 2010 at 9:57 pm :
You're welcome :)))

rainlover1994 said...

I don't know, but I felt like all the brackets ruined the flow and what was written inside was phrased kind of awkwardly. It was a good idea, but I think it could have been executed in a different manner. Just a thought :) it could just be a different style I'm not really used to. 

But if you are up for political protests please check out an  article I wrote on school suspensions (a problem I believe is becoming to abundant across our country). 

Apr. 29, 2010 at 7:52 pm :
Thank you for the feedback, and for taking the time to comment. :) I'm definitely up for political protests, and will go and read the article right now. :)

Booshay777 said...
Apr. 29, 2010 at 7:53 am:
I must say that your poem got me thinking about how people have formed their view on things, like how we try to fit in with society even if it goes against our religion. On weekends were viewed as this church girl/boy but as monday comes around were viewed as an everyday person tied in with what the world wants us to be.

Apr. 29, 2010 at 10:09 am :
Maybe it's just me, but I always think of "religion" as a way you believe, and if you don't really believe that way, then you can't very well go against your religion. If you do decide to go against it, then obviously you don't feel as strongly for the religion as you feel you should. So really, it's probably just a good time to reevaluate what you believe, and what you're willing to compromise on in regard to society's expectations.

EleanorRigby This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You wrote this in a very interesting way, most of the poem's main lines being in parenthesis. I think it adds a unique flow, and I like it. I also thought it could apply to many couples, homosexual or not, although I see how you incorporated those homosexual elements. Job well done

Apr. 29, 2010 at 10:06 am :
The lines that aren't in parenthesis were actually what began the poem in my head. It can and I'm happy about that, but I wrote it specifically for gay and lesbian couples. Thank you. :)