Somewhere East Of Here

I’m accustomed to nice things,
Like purple ribbons and blue balloons.
He crept up during the night,
With flashing lights and silver spoons.
A good night combed my hair straight through,
But it left the comb twisted and tangled.
He’s always watching from the corner,
The corner’s watching from an angle.
He tempts me with glimpses of dusk,
Hoping that I’ll take a long walk.
He’s betting I’ll have a nervous breakdown,
But my breakdowns refuse to talk.
The shadows often come to spy out the land,
Sometimes I can even hear them creeping.
They know the sunshine can’t reach the garden,
And they know the vegetables are full of secrets.
They tried to catch me on a spaghetti night,
But I knew it all too good and well.
The windows and doors sealed themselves shut,
And my sweet tomatoes will never tell.
I see him peeking through a window,
But I don’t find his looks intimidating,
Because my eyes are also a glowing bright red,
And the weight on my shoulders is twice as heavy.
My soul set out like an armed navy ship,
Refusing to suffer such a shameful defeat.
My soul crushed like an armed navy ship,
Under the weight of his massive seas.

DreamWriter15 said...
Jun. 11, 2010 at 7:28 pm:
I think this is very artful, but a bit like a dream.  And that's strange, because it's kind of hard to write a dream, since they're just dreams and very hard to put into reality.  But you've done it quite nicely.  I love it!

Boosflash This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 3:01 am :
I suppose this could be like a dream, if you dream about being paranoid that the sun is out to get you while you're throwing a party. I did write it like I was telling a story. captainize me, captain.

DreamWriter15 replied...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 12:13 pm :
Well, it sounds like a dream to me, like a thought process, no twists or turns that confuse you because that's what a thought process is, twisting and turning infinitely in ways you don't understand but comprehend anyway, because you are the one who is doing the thinking

Jun. 21, 2010 at 3:24 pm :
not to say I dont confuse myself, but i guess it doesnt matter when you're dreaming. not that I fully understand what you're saying, but i guess to understand the concept of this poem it has to be interpreted like a dream because everything i said is what the poems about.

DreamWriter15 replied...
Jun. 25, 2010 at 3:31 pm :
I suppose...it's a really good dream...

Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:22 pm :
i suppose we could sit here and pretend were listening in on their cionversation......

DreamWriter15 replied...
Jun. 29, 2010 at 1:49 pm :
I suppose, but since we already know what's going on, what's the point?

Jun. 30, 2010 at 12:25 pm :
we do know whats going on but we dont know what they're saying. i guess i have to reread you captain.

DreamWriter15 replied...
Jun. 30, 2010 at 8:32 pm :
Hmm.....this is a thought....just because you know what's happening doesn't mean you know how it is happening...

Jul. 1, 2010 at 3:26 am :
that thought is equivalent to this philosophy 'he may know my every move but he cant see me coming". or should it be "I cant anticiptae your moves but i can see you coming"? it was in one of my poems.

DreamWriter15 replied...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 11:13 am :
Well, this is true, it reminds me of Terry Brooks.  It's like knowing you're gonna die, but you don't know how, so you don't exactly know, do you?

Jul. 2, 2010 at 6:31 pm :
exactly that captain.

DreamWriter15 replied...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 9:35 pm :
Hm....well at least you can know where you're going, just not when or how you'll get there, but the place is all that matters, so you don't have to worry about the rest

Jul. 3, 2010 at 12:01 pm :
thats why they call it a journey and not a destination. you already know you're going to get there, what matters is how. thats also why they call it life and not death.we know we're dying we just dont know how, it depends on how we live. captainize me captain.

DreamWriter15 replied...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 9:15 pm :
This is very true.  I love it when someone says something and it's like you've heard it for the first time, but you know it's true, you just never heard it put into words...

Jul. 6, 2010 at 1:29 am :
whatever. i'm tired of our stupid communication skills for me to rightfully respond to that right now. but yeah thats true captain.

DreamWriter15 replied...
Jul. 6, 2010 at 2:26 pm :
Well, maybe we could try talking regularly, so there's not use for stupid communication skills...though I'm sorry that you call them that, I can't help who I am.

Jul. 6, 2010 at 8:22 pm :
neither can I... so how about the reg. talk? but yeah, you had a point.

DreamWriter15 replied...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 9:07 pm :
I'm glad I did, it's always good knowing you're sane...

Jul. 8, 2010 at 11:30 am :
i completely disagree with you captain.

DreamWriter15 replied...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 12:32 am :
Oh?  In what ways, may I ask?