Somewhere East Of Here

I’m accustomed to nice things,
Like purple ribbons and blue balloons.
He crept up during the night,
With flashing lights and silver spoons.
A good night combed my hair straight through,
But it left the comb twisted and tangled.
He’s always watching from the corner,
The corner’s watching from an angle.
He tempts me with glimpses of dusk,
Hoping that I’ll take a long walk.
He’s betting I’ll have a nervous breakdown,
But my breakdowns refuse to talk.
The shadows often come to spy out the land,
Sometimes I can even hear them creeping.
They know the sunshine can’t reach the garden,
And they know the vegetables are full of secrets.
They tried to catch me on a spaghetti night,
But I knew it all too good and well.
The windows and doors sealed themselves shut,
And my sweet tomatoes will never tell.
I see him peeking through a window,
But I don’t find his looks intimidating,
Because my eyes are also a glowing bright red,
And the weight on my shoulders is twice as heavy.
My soul set out like an armed navy ship,
Refusing to suffer such a shameful defeat.
My soul crushed like an armed navy ship,
Under the weight of his massive seas.

Aderes18 said...

I really, really liked it. It's a very nice poem. :) 

Aderes18 replied...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 4:50 pm :
What do the first two lines have to do with the rest of the poem?

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 10:49 pm :
its talking about a party the speaker was attending when the sun crept up on the speaker trying to attack him, or at least thats what the speaker thought.

Aderes18 replied...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 11:49 pm :
Weird... My favorite lines are the poem are the first two lines but the two lines and the rest of the poem don't really make any sense together at all. Sorry!

Sept. 22, 2011 at 11:36 pm :
I see what you mean but the first 2 lines set the stage for the rest of the poem.

Aderes47 replied...
Sept. 24, 2011 at 4:32 pm :
I see what you mean. You need a space in between the first two lines and the rest of the poem, it'll make it much better. :)

Aderes47 replied...
Sept. 24, 2011 at 5:51 pm :
This poem reminds me of Tonight, Tonight by Hot Chelle Rae for some reason. :) By the way, I just don't like that song. I like the voice of the dude but the song has no rhythm, it's weird and stereotypical.

. replied...
Sept. 25, 2011 at 2:07 pm :
Its too late for the space, I can burn the song to the ground.

Aderes47 replied...
Sept. 25, 2011 at 5:25 pm :
Do that for me, please. ;)

. replied...
Sept. 25, 2011 at 10:01 pm :
Mm hmm......

alanacarlene said...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 10:58 am:
this is great you have a lot of talent Mrs. HasntWrittenInAges! still haven't had much inpiration??? I have finally when my bottle was full and over flowed with my emotion it poured onto my paper and into my journal

HasntWrittenInAgesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 7:54 pm :
i accidentally bang my head on the wall (hard) many times during fatal procedure, however such literary juices i am unable to produce. i suppose results of creatie writing tactic and inspiration are relative.

_Elsy_ said...

*looks at recently writen poems* well this makes my poems look like nothing. haha your poem is amazing, wish i could write poems like that.

btw-if you get the chance do you mind checking out some of my stuff?

Sept. 18, 2010 at 1:07 pm :
i would've looked at them anyway captain. you know, you really shouldn't say that, becuase when i commentate its gonna make me look like a liar. but anyway, merci captain.

Puff_the_dragon said...
your work amazes me

Sept. 10, 2010 at 6:00 pm :
I wish you'd be more specific. i doubt i'm as good as you think i am. anywhat, your comments make my day. merci captain.

Puff_the_dragon replied...
Sept. 17, 2010 at 6:11 pm :
Anytime, i love making ppl happy it gives me some sense of accomplishment even if i feel like nothings going my way and i love that you can make anything sound amazing, your ryhmes, i feel like i'm right there watching everything go down

Sept. 18, 2010 at 1:05 pm :
merci my dear. thats very nice of you. you're awesome captain. it seems like you're mailing letters off to me while you're right here in front of me.

Puff_the_dragon replied...
Sept. 18, 2010 at 3:21 pm :
:) well thats what I do, I support my friends

DreamWriter15 said...
Jun. 11, 2010 at 7:28 pm:
I think this is very artful, but a bit like a dream.  And that's strange, because it's kind of hard to write a dream, since they're just dreams and very hard to put into reality.  But you've done it quite nicely.  I love it!