I'm from. | Teen Ink

I'm from.

I'm from Guitar Hero and Nintendo 64's. From shoes scattered everywhere and 30 cups on the counter that no one seems to have gotten out. I'm from trampolines with needed nets and pools that can't seem to stay clean. From ponds that hold many fish that we've tried to name to flowers we can't name at all. I'm from neighborhood roads that are never plowed and American flags that have taken a serious beating by the wind. From neighbor that seem to find us doing the oddest things like Having Nerf Gun battles And rollerblading in our pajamas And playing with cornstarch and water in the driveway. I'm from a family that's so big and weird that anyone outside it doesn't quite fit in. From Taylor and Kayla and Karly and Kelly and Ben and my dad and my mom and John and my Nana and Papa and Grandma Dot and Uncle Jeff. From cousins and Aunts and Uncles we never see. I'm from "Be quiet." and "Get along with your sisters." And then not doing it anyway. I'm from hummus and chicken and kibbee, which I can't even get up the courage to ask exactly what it is let alone eat some. From having spaghetti every night and sandwiches every afternoon. I'm from the hundreds of pictures under my bed, which hold memories from better times and lies. Memories I'd like to relive and memories I wish I'd never lived at all.

This is a poem inspired by George Ella Lyons.