I Am From

I am from the haunted woods of the apple orchard that was. I am from the smell of decay in the spring when rebirth has come. I am from the black rose, the Douglas bush, and the thick stems of thistles. I am from the smell of Yorkshire baking in the oven. I am from the blue eyes of Scotland, the pale skin of England, and the red cheeks of Ireland.

I am from the new traditions of parmesan chicken with chocolate chip cookies on the side. I am from bacon with pancakes in the morning. I am from the smell of wine all throughout the night. I am from heartbreak and divorce and the confusion of the fight. I am from “has anyone told you today?” and the truth behind “beer before liquor, never quicker.”

I am from Lions Club Park and the small town surrounding it. I am from Piggly Wiggly fest with its infinite expanse of rides. I am from the small school with the small class and even smaller minds. I am from the house on the corner with the green grass surrounding its insignificance. I am from the room with yellow paint, with the posters on the wall, with the teddy bear sitting awkwardly out of place. I am from the bed in the corner where the dreams turn my thoughts into reality.

Victoriaaa14 said...
Apr. 14, 2010 at 8:49 am
i like your poem. You used a lot of good description. It put a picture in my  head and i felt what i was feeling. Good poem :)

the_Horsegirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like your descriptions alot. I feel like I got a glimpse into your life and your personality from them. Good poem:-)

kaates This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is so creative, i truly admire how you can express everything you feel, taste, see. beautifully written.

xxificouldfallxx said...
i really enjoy this :3 it's like... how the things and culture around influence you to be who you are. nice :]

BleedingRose said...

Wow, I loved this, great job!  Very beautiful, 5 stars!  Mind commenting on some of my work?  Thanks!  Keep writing   ;)

-Rose