I Am From | Teen Ink

I Am From

By Rosealyd GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Rosealyd GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

I am from the haunted woods of the apple orchard that was. I am from the smell of decay in the spring when rebirth has come. I am from the black rose, the Douglas bush, and the thick stems of thistles. I am from the smell of Yorkshire baking in the oven. I am from the blue eyes of Scotland, the pale skin of England, and the red cheeks of Ireland.

I am from the new traditions of parmesan chicken with chocolate chip cookies on the side. I am from bacon with pancakes in the morning. I am from the smell of wine all throughout the night. I am from heartbreak and divorce and the confusion of the fight. I am from “has anyone told you today?” and the truth behind “beer before liquor, never quicker.”

I am from Lions Club Park and the small town surrounding it. I am from Piggly Wiggly fest with its infinite expanse of rides. I am from the small school with the small class and even smaller minds. I am from the house on the corner with the green grass surrounding its insignificance. I am from the room with yellow paint, with the posters on the wall, with the teddy bear sitting awkwardly out of place. I am from the bed in the corner where the dreams turn my thoughts into reality.

Victoriaaa14 said...
on Apr. 14 2010 at 8:49 am
Victoriaaa14, Saugus, Massachusetts
i like your poem. You used a lot of good description. It put a picture in my  head and i felt what i was feeling. Good poem :)

the_Horsegirl SILVER, Minneapolis, Minnesota

People need dreams, there's as much nourishment in 'em as food.
--Dorothy Gilman

If there is such a thing as truth, it is as intricate and hidden as a crown of feathers.
--Isaac Bashevis Singer

I like your descriptions alot. I feel like I got a glimpse into your life and your personality from them. Good poem:-)

kaates GOLD said...
kaates GOLD, Los Angeles, California

"It's pathetic how we can't live with the things we can't understand. How we need everything labeled and explained and deconstructed."

“Give me rampant intellectualism as a coping mechanism.”

“I just don't want to die without a few scars.”

This is so creative, i truly admire how you can express everything you feel, taste, see. beautifully written.

xxificouldfallxx PLATINUM, Southampton, Pennsylvania
i really enjoy this :3 it's like... how the things and culture around influence you to be who you are. nice :]

BleedingRose PLATINUM, Frederic, Wisconsin

*The darkness holds infinite possibilities.

(mine)

Wow, I loved this, great job!  Very beautiful, 5 stars!  Mind commenting on some of my work?  Thanks!  Keep writing   ;)

-Rose