Welcome to America

By icefaerie10111 GOLD, Exeter, Rhode Island
icefaerie10111 GOLD, Exeter, Rhode Island

Welcome to America: A land of opportunity
where a man on Welfare can make more than a public school teacher.
Welcome to America: A land paved in gold
where we are in trillions of dollars of debt.
Welcome to America: "Liberty and Justice for all":
where our pledge does not include minors or homosexuals;
where it is not applied to the oppressed and those in debt.
Welcome to America: A land for the people
where the cooperation is clearly a person as you and me, from a political aspect.
Welcome to America: ...and by the people
where you can buy legislative power from a governor in Illinois.
Welcome to America: A effort against the "Drug War"
where we can't even keep our police officers clean.
Welcome to America: Where people and legislature see eye to eye;
where a democracy and a republic clash heads.
Welcome to America: Separation of Church and State
where we have only had two non-Protestant Presidents.
Welcome to America: A land of freedom
where women no rights until 1848, and could not vote until 1920;
where African-Americans were isolated from society until the 1960s;
where American Citizens of the same nation had to kill each other to abolish slavery.
Welcome to America: A Nation of peace
where we are always at war.
Welcome to America: A Nation united
where states are divided.
Welcome to America: A Nation of tolerance
where "the people" see Islam in the government as more of a problem than economic reform.
Welcome to America: A Democracy
where we win votes by scandals and controversy, not political action or issues.
Welcome to America: Does the system work for you?
where fitting into the system is more important than improving it.
Welcome to America: Where several police officers were killed in a cafe a couple of weeks ago;
where no one noticed because they were too preoccupied with the fact that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife.
Welcome to America: Most politicians one were lawyers;
where it seems being a celebrity gives you power equal to that.

Welcome to America where many people who read this article never got past the second line because they would rather ignore the issues than resolve them.

on May. 24 2012 at 4:25 pm
Jazzpencilness BRONZE, Spokane, Washington
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
If it wouldn't break my computer screen, I'd give this paper a high five.

on May. 23 2012 at 8:43 pm
pandagirl312 GOLD, Leawood, Kansas
Great work!!! I LOVE this, the ending included. I also love that even if one isn't incredibly educated in politics, they can still understand this. Fabulous!!!

on May. 23 2012 at 10:08 am
spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon
of course we have wars in the streets! those wars are just consolidated to impoverished areas, whether it be police abuse or people fighting for income or greed or just fighting cuz thats all theyve seen and they see no way out

on May. 22 2012 at 1:43 pm
-youngbrownpoet-, Cheyenne, Wyoming

"You're the only one who can make the difference. Whatever your dream is, go for it." - Earvin "Magic" Johnson

I like how this calls out the problems that the U.S. actually has and that we are not the gold and glitter country that everyone else in the world seems to associate us with. Great stuff.

on May. 21 2012 at 9:37 am
Jaycee92 PLATINUM, Lincoln, Nebraska

"Expect the Unexpected"

Nice, This Speaks the truth all too well!

on May. 20 2012 at 6:14 pm
michaela mrianda BRONZE, Temporary, Other

i agree. i find the ending funny but true.i wonder how many people shut down after reading the first few lines people like you make a diffrence i wont be suprised if i hear your name some day.

great poem it shows your love for writing as well as your need to make a point

flip-flops said...
on May. 20 2012 at 12:36 pm
flip-flops, Bernardsville, New Jersey
Yes, I completly agree that complaining about things in the past is stupid. All I am saying is that forgetting about the past would be stupid as well.

The~Watcher said...
on May. 20 2012 at 11:07 am
Well, yes, of course. We have learned incredible things from the sufferage and civil rights movements. Which is why I don't see how complaining about the 1920's and 60's is an example of what's wrong with today's socicety. Of course we should learn from them, but they're an example of what's good about the country, not what's bad- we've improved.

flip-flops said...
on May. 20 2012 at 6:56 am
flip-flops, Bernardsville, New Jersey
I think the point of learning and remebering history is to make sure that we don't repeat the mistakes of our past. For instance, hopefully one can learn from the suffrage movement so an inequality and injustice such as that will never be repeated. 

bluhs said...
on May. 19 2012 at 10:15 pm
bluhs, E, Alabama
This is an excellent article. Very well written. I loved it.

on May. 16 2012 at 7:17 pm
This is a great artical. It states so many truths that people of our country would just rather ignore than deal with. It really is great.

on May. 16 2012 at 5:33 pm
lovetildeath GOLD, Virginia Beach, Virginia

I'm selfish, impatient, & a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control, & at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
- Marilyn Monroe

Yep...We as Americans are foolish with blind hope and faith but NO WORK or effort is put in we need GLOBAL PRIDE♥....

Annieboo said...
on May. 16 2012 at 4:35 pm
Our country has it problems, but what country doesn't. I do wish it was better here, but we do have freedom and chances to do something great with our life. I liked your writing, especially the repetition of "welcome to america". I like how you're not afraid to share your thoughts. I do think we need to do something about all these problems. Identifyingthem, like you did, is the first step to solving these problems.

on May. 16 2012 at 4:11 pm
Maddie_Rae PLATINUM, Newalla, Oklahoma

I write my life in ink, that way i can still remember the good things, and yet i can never erase my mistakes.

Compared to some countries we have it made. We at least get the chance to have an education and at least we dont have wars in the streats like over in Afganistan or Uganda. But over all it was well written, you just focased on the bads of America and not the goods.

on May. 16 2012 at 9:17 am
Ninasplaylist BRONZE, Covington, Louisiana
I feel the same way.

Lletya BRONZE said...
on May. 15 2012 at 6:11 pm
Lletya BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

All we ever wanted you to be, is to be yourself! If everyone leaves the show that night feeling better about themselves, then we did our job. Its a social experiment, slash art project. We're trying to change the world and help alot of people. MCR

I feel ashamed to live in such a horrible country where we care more about drugged up singers than the people who die for our country.  I know I am young, but I want to fix these problems.

on May. 15 2012 at 10:06 am
CrystalAngelDol SILVER, Queens, New York

Never tell your problems to anyone...20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them.
- Lou Holtz

one word- awesome! fantastic job! don't listen to these ignorant people, you did great! 

lkk4209 BRONZE said...
on May. 8 2012 at 7:57 pm
lkk4209 BRONZE, Somewhere, Massachusetts

"April Fool's Day is for amateurs. You never need an excuse to mess with people's heads."

"I may be lying in the gutter, but I'm staring up at the stars, honey."

This is well written, but I must say: the problems we have here in America are nothing in comparison to many other countires.

The~Watcher said...
on May. 8 2012 at 4:52 pm
I don't see what the point is in whining about history. It wasn't our fault and there's nothing at this point that we can do about it. Yeah, it was stupid that women couldn't vote until 1920- what do you want to do about it?

on Apr. 29 2012 at 8:42 am
overexposed PLATINUM, Davie, Florida

When you compare the sorrows of real life to the pleasures of the imaginary one, you will never want to live again, only to dream forever.

Way to go! America will forever be my country, and I do love it, but I recognize the hypocrisy that looms in our streets. Great job in exposing that!

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!