Welcome to America This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Welcome to America: A land of opportunity
where a man on Welfare can make more than a public school teacher.
Welcome to America: A land paved in gold
where we are in trillions of dollars of debt.
Welcome to America: "Liberty and Justice for all":
where our pledge does not include minors or homosexuals;
where it is not applied to the oppressed and those in debt.
Welcome to America: A land for the people
where the cooperation is clearly a person as you and me, from a political aspect.
Welcome to America: ...and by the people
where you can buy legislative power from a governor in Illinois.
Welcome to America: A effort against the "Drug War"
where we can't even keep our police officers clean.
Welcome to America: Where people and legislature see eye to eye;
where a democracy and a republic clash heads.
Welcome to America: Separation of Church and State
where we have only had two non-Protestant Presidents.
Welcome to America: A land of freedom
where women no rights until 1848, and could not vote until 1920;
where African-Americans were isolated from society until the 1960s;
where American Citizens of the same nation had to kill each other to abolish slavery.
Welcome to America: A Nation of peace
where we are always at war.
Welcome to America: A Nation united
where states are divided.
Welcome to America: A Nation of tolerance
where "the people" see Islam in the government as more of a problem than economic reform.
Welcome to America: A Democracy
where we win votes by scandals and controversy, not political action or issues.
Welcome to America: Does the system work for you?
where fitting into the system is more important than improving it.
Welcome to America: Where several police officers were killed in a cafe a couple of weeks ago;
where no one noticed because they were too preoccupied with the fact that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife.
Welcome to America: Most politicians one were lawyers;
where it seems being a celebrity gives you power equal to that.

Welcome to America where many people who read this article never got past the second line because they would rather ignore the issues than resolve them.

lovetildeath said...
May 16, 2012 at 5:33 pm:
Yep...We as Americans are foolish with blind hope and faith but NO WORK or effort is put in we need GLOBAL PRIDE♥....

Annieboo said...
May 16, 2012 at 4:35 pm:
Our country has it problems, but what country doesn't. I do wish it was better here, but we do have freedom and chances to do something great with our life. I liked your writing, especially the repetition of "welcome to america". I like how you're not afraid to share your thoughts. I do think we need to do something about all these problems. Identifyingthem, like you did, is the first step to solving these problems.

Michaela M. replied...
May 20, 2012 at 6:14 pm :

i agree. i find the ending funny but true.i wonder how many people shut down after reading the first few lines people like you make a diffrence i wont be suprised if i hear your name some day.

great poem it shows your love for writing as well as your need to make a point

Lletya said...
May 15, 2012 at 6:11 pm:
I feel ashamed to live in such a horrible country where we care more about drugged up singers than the people who die for our country.  I know I am young, but I want to fix these problems.

BendingBookshelves replied...
May 16, 2012 at 9:17 am :
I feel the same way.

LiteraryMastermind replied...
Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:07 am :

Look, we can't have every person killed in the line of action become famous or whatever. There are simply too many armed forces deaths. We focus on paying attention to singers, authors, actors because they influence culture. And there aren't a lot of them that are really up there.

But I see what you mean. I still remember when Coretta Scott King died, and a few weeks later everyone forgot about it, when the year previous or maybe two years ago some female celebrity died a... (more »)

CrystalAngelDol said...
May 15, 2012 at 10:06 am:
one word- awesome! fantastic job! don't listen to these ignorant people, you did great! 

lkk4209This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 8, 2012 at 7:57 pm:
This is well written, but I must say: the problems we have here in America are nothing in comparison to many other countires.

Seshat replied...
May 16, 2012 at 4:11 pm :
Compared to some countries we have it made. We at least get the chance to have an education and at least we dont have wars in the streats like over in Afganistan or Uganda. But over all it was well written, you just focased on the bads of America and not the goods.

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
May 23, 2012 at 10:08 am :
of course we have wars in the streets! those wars are just consolidated to impoverished areas, whether it be police abuse or people fighting for income or greed or just fighting cuz thats all theyve seen and they see no way out

The~Watcher said...
May 8, 2012 at 4:52 pm:
I don't see what the point is in whining about history. It wasn't our fault and there's nothing at this point that we can do about it. Yeah, it was stupid that women couldn't vote until 1920- what do you want to do about it?

Sam N. replied...
May 20, 2012 at 6:56 am :
I think the point of learning and remebering history is to make sure that we don't repeat the mistakes of our past. For instance, hopefully one can learn from the suffrage movement so an inequality and injustice such as that will never be repeated. 

The~Watcher replied...
May 20, 2012 at 11:07 am :
Well, yes, of course. We have learned incredible things from the sufferage and civil rights movements. Which is why I don't see how complaining about the 1920's and 60's is an example of what's wrong with today's socicety. Of course we should learn from them, but they're an example of what's good about the country, not what's bad- we've improved.

flip-flops replied...
May 20, 2012 at 12:36 pm :
Yes, I completly agree that complaining about things in the past is stupid. All I am saying is that forgetting about the past would be stupid as well.

peachybeech said...
Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:42 am:

Way to go! America will forever be my country, and I do love it, but I recognize the hypocrisy that looms in our streets. Great job in exposing that!

MiaUnwritten said...
Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:50 am:
its cool, i love it

Aisha B. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I absolutely love this! You exposed America's hypocrisy in a beautiful, poignant way.

ImagineLots said...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 1:52 pm:
I really like this poem. I may not agree with one or two lines in there but that's just a matter of opinion. Really nice job.

HMoreau said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:12 am:
I like this poem. It shows how much of a hypocrite America is. I know that no country is perfect but America really needs to see that. We need to focus on making us as close to perfect as can be. Your poem says everything that needs to be fixed. Good job. :)

PamplemousseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 24, 2012 at 8:23 pm:
I know this country is not perfect, and you do have a point on most of the things you said. But saying that corruption exists here makes it seem like they only exist in America. There will always be corruption because of human nature and greed. Corruption doesn't exist because this is america, it exists because there are humans here. Be greatful for the things you have.