Welcome to America This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Welcome to America: A land of opportunity
where a man on Welfare can make more than a public school teacher.
Welcome to America: A land paved in gold
where we are in trillions of dollars of debt.
Welcome to America: "Liberty and Justice for all":
where our pledge does not include minors or homosexuals;
where it is not applied to the oppressed and those in debt.
Welcome to America: A land for the people
where the cooperation is clearly a person as you and me, from a political aspect.
Welcome to America: ...and by the people
where you can buy legislative power from a governor in Illinois.
Welcome to America: A effort against the "Drug War"
where we can't even keep our police officers clean.
Welcome to America: Where people and legislature see eye to eye;
where a democracy and a republic clash heads.
Welcome to America: Separation of Church and State
where we have only had two non-Protestant Presidents.
Welcome to America: A land of freedom
where women no rights until 1848, and could not vote until 1920;
where African-Americans were isolated from society until the 1960s;
where American Citizens of the same nation had to kill each other to abolish slavery.
Welcome to America: A Nation of peace
where we are always at war.
Welcome to America: A Nation united
where states are divided.
Welcome to America: A Nation of tolerance
where "the people" see Islam in the government as more of a problem than economic reform.
Welcome to America: A Democracy
where we win votes by scandals and controversy, not political action or issues.
Welcome to America: Does the system work for you?
where fitting into the system is more important than improving it.
Welcome to America: Where several police officers were killed in a cafe a couple of weeks ago;
where no one noticed because they were too preoccupied with the fact that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife.
Welcome to America: Most politicians one were lawyers;
where it seems being a celebrity gives you power equal to that.

Welcome to America where many people who read this article never got past the second line because they would rather ignore the issues than resolve them.

Born-to-save said...
May 30, 2012 at 9:57 am:
America is still a strong, good place to live. You can find bad in everywhere and if you try to find a perfect place to live youll be looking your whole life. Yeah somethings are wrong and we've been at war awhile but believe it or not we have a good cause for them. and you cant blame us for things in the past.

Born-to-save replied...
May 30, 2012 at 6:26 pm :
God bless America... theres a reason you dont hear "God bless sweden"

Ultim@te replied...
May 30, 2012 at 6:42 pm :
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean

LiteraryMastermind replied...
Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:01 am :
People do say God Bless Sweden.... but it's in Swedish....

icefaerie10111 replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:16 am :
I say "God Bless the Word."
We all need His belessing (however, please note, I am not overly religious).
Just because you're American doesn't mean you are entitled

JesuSwag said...
May 29, 2012 at 5:03 pm:

I enjoyed reading this. I must say though, I LOVE the ending, it's something you wouldn't expect. Good job. Stay BLESSED!

-JesuSwag

BloglessBlogger said...
May 29, 2012 at 3:17 pm:
Your right most people won't read that far, most people won't care, most people want to be loved and don't want to cause ripples. This country will eventually fall like Rome. Two-hundred years from now America could just be a country studied in history that doesn't matter. I see reasoning behind everything you say and see why this needs to be resolved. Us as the future generation need to get up and do something. The poor people are the only ones who work because they've seen the bad and want to ... (more »)

Isis.Mond said...
May 29, 2012 at 1:00 pm:
I feel this was very well writen. It is very true, and I agree. The US has many problems, and they need to be pointed out. It is far from a perfect country, and yet many people have the illusion in their heads that it is perfect. Well done. 

thewouldbelibrarian said...
May 29, 2012 at 12:31 pm:
I agree with about half of what you said, but the other half I don't agree with. Our country was founded by Christians, who made this a Christian country. Pagans and athiests later intervened, and it's due to them that our country has moved downhill. I mean no offense to pagans and athiests, but it's the truth. If the country was run like a Christian country, all these other problems you've mentioned wouldn't be around. Also, you contradict yourself. If everything you protested against was fixed... (more »)

thetruthawaits94 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 29, 2012 at 3:33 pm :
This is an impressive piece of writing. I disagree with the religion thing for the same reasons that thewouldbelibrarian said. Although this is a strong piece, i feel that as you go along, your points begin to become more muddled and weak, as you may have become more desperate, just putting more points into it to make your piece longer. Remember that longer is not always better! Overall, good work!

GHansen replied...
May 29, 2012 at 4:24 pm :

The U.S. was never a Christian country. In fact, one the the main reasons so many people came to America was because we offered religious freedom. That's not  "free to be Christian", that's "free to believe whatever you want."

Also, I'm sure it wasn't your intention at all to offend any atheists or pagans by stating that they're the sole reason our country is a complete wreck, but for some strange reason I actually did find it offensive. The United States is extremel... (more »)

thewouldbelibrarian replied...
May 29, 2012 at 4:47 pm :

Hey! Stop getting sarcastic. I'm sorry if it looked like I was implying that every single athiest and pagan in the history of America was evil intentioned! I'm not meaning to imply that.

Sure, in America, you can believe what you want. What I'm saying is, America was founded on Christian principles, whether you like it or not. Just because it doesn't sound like "Elsie Dinsmore" founded the country, doesn't mean it wasn't Christian morals and principles that used to be the founda... (more »)

Kunabee said...
May 29, 2012 at 10:49 am:

This poem is Kunabee-approved.  Moving on...

This is very true.  I agree entirely, I think you were 100% accurate.  Thanks for the message.  It's time to resolve the issues.

How can we help others if we can't help ourselves?

C'mon, people in power!  Everyone but YOU knows the truth!

NinjaMonster123This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 29, 2012 at 8:42 am:
That was EXTREMELY GOOD!!!!! I absolutely LOVED it. I really loved your ending! GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!! :D

Musicfeedsthesoul07 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 28, 2012 at 10:10 pm:
I absolutely loved this! The ending was incredible. I respect your courage for saying what everyone else is afraid to say! 

xMeadowxThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 28, 2012 at 2:52 pm:
Ahh, I love this! This is just what I was waiting to hear. Really good job. It's a wake up call.

Robert M. said...
May 24, 2012 at 4:25 pm:
If it wouldn't break my computer screen, I'd give this paper a high five.

pandagirl312 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 23, 2012 at 8:43 pm:
Great work!!! I LOVE this, the ending included. I also love that even if one isn't incredibly educated in politics, they can still understand this. Fabulous!!!

Cameron F. said...
May 22, 2012 at 1:43 pm:
I like how this calls out the problems that the U.S. actually has and that we are not the gold and glitter country that everyone else in the world seems to associate us with. Great stuff.

Jaycee92 said...
May 21, 2012 at 9:37 am:
Nice, This Speaks the truth all too well!

Aduke9 said...
May 19, 2012 at 10:15 pm:
This is an excellent article. Very well written. I loved it.