Welcome to America This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Welcome to America: A land of opportunity
where a man on Welfare can make more than a public school teacher.
Welcome to America: A land paved in gold
where we are in trillions of dollars of debt.
Welcome to America: "Liberty and Justice for all":
where our pledge does not include minors or homosexuals;
where it is not applied to the oppressed and those in debt.
Welcome to America: A land for the people
where the cooperation is clearly a person as you and me, from a political aspect.
Welcome to America: ...and by the people
where you can buy legislative power from a governor in Illinois.
Welcome to America: A effort against the "Drug War"
where we can't even keep our police officers clean.
Welcome to America: Where people and legislature see eye to eye;
where a democracy and a republic clash heads.
Welcome to America: Separation of Church and State
where we have only had two non-Protestant Presidents.
Welcome to America: A land of freedom
where women no rights until 1848, and could not vote until 1920;
where African-Americans were isolated from society until the 1960s;
where American Citizens of the same nation had to kill each other to abolish slavery.
Welcome to America: A Nation of peace
where we are always at war.
Welcome to America: A Nation united
where states are divided.
Welcome to America: A Nation of tolerance
where "the people" see Islam in the government as more of a problem than economic reform.
Welcome to America: A Democracy
where we win votes by scandals and controversy, not political action or issues.
Welcome to America: Does the system work for you?
where fitting into the system is more important than improving it.
Welcome to America: Where several police officers were killed in a cafe a couple of weeks ago;
where no one noticed because they were too preoccupied with the fact that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife.
Welcome to America: Most politicians one were lawyers;
where it seems being a celebrity gives you power equal to that.

Welcome to America where many people who read this article never got past the second line because they would rather ignore the issues than resolve them.

fortheloveofwritingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:25 pm:
I really like how you put this. Yes, the U.S. has it's problems, but we all know it's come a long way from what the founding fathers originally intended. Great work!

Randomscreennamelalalala replied...
Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:46 pm :
It always seems a little whiny to me to complain about America. I mean, I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's better than, say, North Korea. 

icefaerie10111 replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:28 am :
I must have commented this a thousand times: the purpose of this poem is not to compare America to other countries, it is to point out our flaws in our "model of western democracy" and hopefully open peoples' eyes so we can makes changes.

unsimplysara said...
Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:03 am:
While there are many MANY things about the United States that are concerning and unjust and while government is without doubt, corrupt, there are many things Americans have to be grateful for. What sense does it make to say that women could not vote until the 1920's if they can now while in places like the middle east they're still considered to have no rights? Also, our nation WAS founded by Christian principles and believe it or not, separation of church and state was established to protect t... (more »)

icefaerie10111 replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:13 am :
Okay, so the purpose of this poem was not to compare America with other countries. Like, AT ALL. It was simply to say we should not be "the standard" when we are so hypocritical and flawed. I agree we have abetter government than many places in the world... just, we should put a little more effort into perfecting ourselves so we can be proud to be that standard of western democracy.

NeverStopWriting41 said...
May 30, 2012 at 7:12 pm:
Good job! This is very well-written and shows the problems in American without that "complaining or whiny tone" that articles like these give off sometimes. Good work.

WhittyKittyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 30, 2012 at 11:26 am:
You did an outstanding job with this article. It is a true eye-opener that should be read by all the people in charge of our country. Great job!

Born-to-save said...
May 30, 2012 at 9:57 am:
America is still a strong, good place to live. You can find bad in everywhere and if you try to find a perfect place to live youll be looking your whole life. Yeah somethings are wrong and we've been at war awhile but believe it or not we have a good cause for them. and you cant blame us for things in the past.

Ultim@te replied...
May 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm :
Amen brother. God bless America

Born-to-save replied...
May 30, 2012 at 6:26 pm :
GOD bless AMERICA

Born-to-save replied...
May 30, 2012 at 6:26 pm :
God bless America... theres a reason you dont hear "God bless sweden"

Ultim@te replied...
May 30, 2012 at 6:42 pm :
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean

LiteraryMastermindThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:01 am :
People do say God Bless Sweden.... but it's in Swedish....

icefaerie10111 replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:16 am :
I say "God Bless the Word."
We all need His belessing (however, please note, I am not overly religious).
Just because you're American doesn't mean you are entitled

JesuSwag said...
May 29, 2012 at 5:03 pm:

I enjoyed reading this. I must say though, I LOVE the ending, it's something you wouldn't expect. Good job. Stay BLESSED!

-JesuSwag

BloglessBlogger said...
May 29, 2012 at 3:17 pm:
Your right most people won't read that far, most people won't care, most people want to be loved and don't want to cause ripples. This country will eventually fall like Rome. Two-hundred years from now America could just be a country studied in history that doesn't matter. I see reasoning behind everything you say and see why this needs to be resolved. Us as the future generation need to get up and do something. The poor people are the only ones who work because they've seen the bad and want to ... (more »)

Isis.Mond said...
May 29, 2012 at 1:00 pm:
I feel this was very well writen. It is very true, and I agree. The US has many problems, and they need to be pointed out. It is far from a perfect country, and yet many people have the illusion in their heads that it is perfect. Well done. 

thewouldbelibrarian said...
May 29, 2012 at 12:31 pm:
I agree with about half of what you said, but the other half I don't agree with. Our country was founded by Christians, who made this a Christian country. Pagans and athiests later intervened, and it's due to them that our country has moved downhill. I mean no offense to pagans and athiests, but it's the truth. If the country was run like a Christian country, all these other problems you've mentioned wouldn't be around. Also, you contradict yourself. If everything you protested against was fixed... (more »)

thetruthawaits94 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 29, 2012 at 3:33 pm :
This is an impressive piece of writing. I disagree with the religion thing for the same reasons that thewouldbelibrarian said. Although this is a strong piece, i feel that as you go along, your points begin to become more muddled and weak, as you may have become more desperate, just putting more points into it to make your piece longer. Remember that longer is not always better! Overall, good work!

GHansen replied...
May 29, 2012 at 4:24 pm :

The U.S. was never a Christian country. In fact, one the the main reasons so many people came to America was because we offered religious freedom. That's not  "free to be Christian", that's "free to believe whatever you want."

Also, I'm sure it wasn't your intention at all to offend any atheists or pagans by stating that they're the sole reason our country is a complete wreck, but for some strange reason I actually did find it offensive. The United States is extremel... (more »)