Welcome to America

By icefaerie10111 GOLD, Exeter, Rhode Island
icefaerie10111 GOLD, Exeter, Rhode Island

Welcome to America: A land of opportunity
where a man on Welfare can make more than a public school teacher.
Welcome to America: A land paved in gold
where we are in trillions of dollars of debt.
Welcome to America: "Liberty and Justice for all":
where our pledge does not include minors or homosexuals;
where it is not applied to the oppressed and those in debt.
Welcome to America: A land for the people
where the cooperation is clearly a person as you and me, from a political aspect.
Welcome to America: ...and by the people
where you can buy legislative power from a governor in Illinois.
Welcome to America: A effort against the "Drug War"
where we can't even keep our police officers clean.
Welcome to America: Where people and legislature see eye to eye;
where a democracy and a republic clash heads.
Welcome to America: Separation of Church and State
where we have only had two non-Protestant Presidents.
Welcome to America: A land of freedom
where women no rights until 1848, and could not vote until 1920;
where African-Americans were isolated from society until the 1960s;
where American Citizens of the same nation had to kill each other to abolish slavery.
Welcome to America: A Nation of peace
where we are always at war.
Welcome to America: A Nation united
where states are divided.
Welcome to America: A Nation of tolerance
where "the people" see Islam in the government as more of a problem than economic reform.
Welcome to America: A Democracy
where we win votes by scandals and controversy, not political action or issues.
Welcome to America: Does the system work for you?
where fitting into the system is more important than improving it.
Welcome to America: Where several police officers were killed in a cafe a couple of weeks ago;
where no one noticed because they were too preoccupied with the fact that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife.
Welcome to America: Most politicians one were lawyers;
where it seems being a celebrity gives you power equal to that.

Welcome to America where many people who read this article never got past the second line because they would rather ignore the issues than resolve them.

on Jun. 11 2012 at 4:57 pm
foreverlove21 BRONZE, Plano, Texas

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter, don't mind."

wow. this is amazing.

babysteps GOLD said...
on Jun. 11 2012 at 10:34 am
babysteps GOLD, Wayland, Massachusetts

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind."
~Mahatma Gandhi

This is an amazing piece of writing!!!

on Jun. 10 2012 at 11:26 am
comfortablynumb7, Charlotte, North Carolina

" You want too much. you expect too much then when your hero disappoints you, your poor little heart gets crushed" <another quote>"If you don't earn respect when you're alive, you don't deserve it when you're dead."

Where is the LOVE button

on Jun. 9 2012 at 1:44 pm
well written, but i disagree with a lot of it. America was founded a Christian nation-we have freedom of religion because the founders didn't want to repeat what originally made them leave england. America is not a democracy but a republic(recite the Pledge of Allegience in your head). I think minors should be oppressed to an extent because nowadays, most are not mature enough to be allowed to do everything that most adults are mature enough to do. It's like letting a ten year old play with beads, but slapping a baby's hand when he reaches for them. Other things you mentioned were very true and need to be taken care of like the nation's debt.

klsmith BRONZE said...
on Jun. 9 2012 at 9:51 am
klsmith BRONZE, Belleville, Kansas
whre is the like botton

on Jun. 9 2012 at 9:07 am
LiteraryMastermind BRONZE, Graytown, Connecticut

Look, we can't have every person killed in the line of action become famous or whatever. There are simply too many armed forces deaths. We focus on paying attention to singers, authors, actors because they influence culture. And there aren't a lot of them that are really up there.

But I see what you mean. I still remember when Coretta Scott King died, and a few weeks later everyone forgot about it, when the year previous or maybe two years ago some female celebrity died and they were still talking about it.

on Jun. 9 2012 at 9:01 am
People do say God Bless Sweden.... but it's in Swedish....

on Jun. 9 2012 at 8:58 am
Agreed.                

on Jun. 8 2012 at 2:28 pm
tammysaurus101, NYC, New York

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." - Jean-Paul Sartre

a great poem indeed... very hardcore and to the truth. i loved how u put no bs in this just total truth...and some people have a hard time realizing that these are the general problems of america. 

on Jun. 5 2012 at 3:39 pm
I had to mispell things to get over TI's ban.

on Jun. 5 2012 at 3:38 pm
WTA 3: Liberty and Justice for All does mean Liberty and Justice for all. However, the fact that people are biased doesn't mean that the law is biased. Fact is, the resistance to the new era with emerging gys is understandable. The Bi.ble speaks against gys (Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve), and, frankly, whether people like it or not, the majority of people in the USA are Chr.istians, Je.ws, or Mus.lims, who all happen to believe the first few chapters of the Old Testament, since they are Abrhamic religions. Not saying I agree, but it's true. Evolution is also opposed to gys. And minors should be restricted. It is impossible to protect everybody from every injustice; but we have law enforcement to at least put up a fight.

on Jun. 5 2012 at 3:35 pm

WTA 11: I don't even get this one.

WTA 12: Again, Islam is unjustly identified with terrorism. It's sad, but true.

Last WTA: Some people don't read the article because they just don't want to read the article. Not because they want to ignore problems. Just because they don't want to read the article. But hey, they didn't read the end of the article, so they don't know you're ridiculing them behind their backs.

on Jun. 5 2012 at 3:34 pm

WTA 9: It wasn't just America that had these thoughts about women during the nineteenth and earlier centuries. Things began to change as we progressed into a more equal standing. Now, there is no way to justify African-American oppression, but I can say that people at that time did think blacks inferior. It's sad, but it's true, and nothing can change that. History is history. We shouldn't use our past to try and damage us, but rather learn from it.

WTA 10: Did you know that up until we discovered the Holocaust that we had a policy of isolationism? Just saying. I know there were Japanese Internment camps in the USA, but I am providing a reason why we get involved in so much wars.

on Jun. 5 2012 at 3:33 pm

WTA 6: We can't help that police officers aren't clean. The argument only holds if other law enforcement personnel catch the faulty officer in the act and let him go without punishment.

WTA 8: Seperation of Church and State. This goes with the old idea, that the people can be biased without the law being unbiased. Unless someone wants to go brainwashed all of America, there is no way to change that. People do not want a non-Christian president. Just Protestant is better. Catholicism is identified with Latin countries. Islam is subconsciously identified with terrorism. Buddhism is identified with China. Hinduism, India. How can we change all of these ideas? If the mass population is Protestant, why not have a Protestant president? It wouldn't reflect the majority of people.

on Jun. 5 2012 at 3:30 pm
I find the poem a little shallow. While I like, the tone, the things pointed out are a little ridiculous. Here are some of the things I noticed.

on Jun. 4 2012 at 4:10 pm
Kestrel PLATINUM, Warrenton, Virginia

-There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy. (Shakespeare, Hamlet)

I loved the ending, about those of us who stopped reading after the second line. I admit, I for one am guilty, because I noticed it was long and I wasn't sure I felt like reading it all. I'm so glad I changed my mind. Welcome to America, where we have freedom of speech, and are able to express our feelings publicly and yet, still we are ignored. I really liked this aritcle, thank you.

Kiseki GOLD said...
on Jun. 4 2012 at 2:22 pm
Kiseki GOLD, Marlborough, Massachusetts

“The good things don’t always soften the bad, but vice-versa, the bad things don’t necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”

The Eleventh Doctor, Vincent and the Doctor, Doctor Who

This is really...powerful. I mean, I'm grateful for what we have here in America (at least I'm not living in North Korea or China, where freedom is very limited) but there are some problems that are being ignored. I love how you put "Welcome to America" as if it's a beautiful, great nation we should be so entirely proud of, and then say the contradicting things happening. It's very clear and well written by all means, I can see why it's an editor's choice. I like the picture you chose; strangely, it fits well. Very powerful, this is probably one of the best poems I've read. (And I'm even counting published poets while saying that.)

on Jun. 4 2012 at 12:10 am
Micky21098 SILVER, Peoria, Arizona

To be perfect is to know your imperfections.
-Me (if you can believe it!)

This was shockingly true. It really captivated my attention and i read every word, down to the last period. I knew some of these, but the rest were a huge disappointment to me. This country needs to change as quickly as possible, or we will always be looked down on in the world.

on Jun. 3 2012 at 9:44 pm
mudnainah BRONZE, Barikville, Washington

it's not in everything that you find happiness, but in happiness you shall find everything.

Truth! 

on Jun. 2 2012 at 10:46 pm
Randomscreennamelalalala PLATINUM, Bonney Lake, Washington

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

It always seems a little whiny to me to complain about America. I mean, I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's better than, say, North Korea. 

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!