Welcome to America This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Welcome to America: A land of opportunity
where a man on Welfare can make more than a public school teacher.
Welcome to America: A land paved in gold
where we are in trillions of dollars of debt.
Welcome to America: "Liberty and Justice for all":
where our pledge does not include minors or homosexuals;
where it is not applied to the oppressed and those in debt.
Welcome to America: A land for the people
where the cooperation is clearly a person as you and me, from a political aspect.
Welcome to America: ...and by the people
where you can buy legislative power from a governor in Illinois.
Welcome to America: A effort against the "Drug War"
where we can't even keep our police officers clean.
Welcome to America: Where people and legislature see eye to eye;
where a democracy and a republic clash heads.
Welcome to America: Separation of Church and State
where we have only had two non-Protestant Presidents.
Welcome to America: A land of freedom
where women no rights until 1848, and could not vote until 1920;
where African-Americans were isolated from society until the 1960s;
where American Citizens of the same nation had to kill each other to abolish slavery.
Welcome to America: A Nation of peace
where we are always at war.
Welcome to America: A Nation united
where states are divided.
Welcome to America: A Nation of tolerance
where "the people" see Islam in the government as more of a problem than economic reform.
Welcome to America: A Democracy
where we win votes by scandals and controversy, not political action or issues.
Welcome to America: Does the system work for you?
where fitting into the system is more important than improving it.
Welcome to America: Where several police officers were killed in a cafe a couple of weeks ago;
where no one noticed because they were too preoccupied with the fact that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife.
Welcome to America: Most politicians one were lawyers;
where it seems being a celebrity gives you power equal to that.

Welcome to America where many people who read this article never got past the second line because they would rather ignore the issues than resolve them.

LiteraryMastermind said...
Jun. 5, 2012 at 3:34 pm:

WTA 9: It wasn't just America that had these thoughts about women during the nineteenth and earlier centuries. Things began to change as we progressed into a more equal standing. Now, there is no way to justify African-American oppression, but I can say that people at that time did think blacks inferior. It's sad, but it's true, and nothing can change that. History is history. We shouldn't use our past to try and damage us, but rather learn from it.

WTA 10: Did you ... (more »)

icefaerie10111 replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:27 am :
Um.... we sort of broke isolationism during WWI.
Wow. Just wow, "Liiteracy Mastermind." Not so much for histpry, are we?

BlueRain replied...
Jul. 6, 2012 at 3:06 pm :
Lm, we actually ignored the Holocaust in the early part of the war, partly because we thought intervening would be too much work and also because we weren't very favorable to the Jews anyway. So when we "discovered the Holocaust", we still stuck with isolationism relating to that area.

LiteraryMastermind said...
Jun. 5, 2012 at 3:33 pm:

WTA 6: We can't help that police officers aren't clean. The argument only holds if other law enforcement personnel catch the faulty officer in the act and let him go without punishment.

WTA 8: Seperation of Church and State. This goes with the old idea, that the people can be biased without the law being unbiased. Unless someone wants to go brainwashed all of America, there is no way to change that. People do not want a non-Christian president. Just Protestant is be... (more »)

icefaerie10111 replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:11 am :
I'm Catholic and I find you offensive. 
NEXT COMMENT, PLEASE.

LiteraryMastermind said...
Jun. 5, 2012 at 3:30 pm:
I find the poem a little shallow. While I like, the tone, the things pointed out are a little ridiculous. Here are some of the things I noticed.

KestrelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:10 pm:
I loved the ending, about those of us who stopped reading after the second line. I admit, I for one am guilty, because I noticed it was long and I wasn't sure I felt like reading it all. I'm so glad I changed my mind. Welcome to America, where we have freedom of speech, and are able to express our feelings publicly and yet, still we are ignored. I really liked this aritcle, thank you.

Kiseki said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 2:22 pm:
This is really...powerful. I mean, I'm grateful for what we have here in America (at least I'm not living in North Korea or China, where freedom is very limited) but there are some problems that are being ignored. I love how you put "Welcome to America" as if it's a beautiful, great nation we should be so entirely proud of, and then say the contradicting things happening. It's very clear and well written by all means, I can see why it's an editor's choice. I like the picture you chose; strangely... (more »)

Micky21098 said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 12:10 am:
This was shockingly true. It really captivated my attention and i read every word, down to the last period. I knew some of these, but the rest were a huge disappointment to me. This country needs to change as quickly as possible, or we will always be looked down on in the world.

mudnainah said...
Jun. 3, 2012 at 9:44 pm:

Truth! 

fortheloveofwriting said...
Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:25 pm:
I really like how you put this. Yes, the U.S. has it's problems, but we all know it's come a long way from what the founding fathers originally intended. Great work!

Randomscreennamelalalala replied...
Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:46 pm :
It always seems a little whiny to me to complain about America. I mean, I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's better than, say, North Korea. 

icefaerie10111 replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:28 am :
I must have commented this a thousand times: the purpose of this poem is not to compare America to other countries, it is to point out our flaws in our "model of western democracy" and hopefully open peoples' eyes so we can makes changes.

unsimplysara said...
Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:03 am:
While there are many MANY things about the United States that are concerning and unjust and while government is without doubt, corrupt, there are many things Americans have to be grateful for. What sense does it make to say that women could not vote until the 1920's if they can now while in places like the middle east they're still considered to have no rights? Also, our nation WAS founded by Christian principles and believe it or not, separation of church and state was established to protect t... (more »)

icefaerie10111 replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:13 am :
Okay, so the purpose of this poem was not to compare America with other countries. Like, AT ALL. It was simply to say we should not be "the standard" when we are so hypocritical and flawed. I agree we have abetter government than many places in the world... just, we should put a little more effort into perfecting ourselves so we can be proud to be that standard of western democracy.

NeverStopWriting41 said...
May 30, 2012 at 7:12 pm:
Good job! This is very well-written and shows the problems in American without that "complaining or whiny tone" that articles like these give off sometimes. Good work.

WhittyKittyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 30, 2012 at 11:26 am:
You did an outstanding job with this article. It is a true eye-opener that should be read by all the people in charge of our country. Great job!

Born-to-save said...
May 30, 2012 at 9:57 am:
America is still a strong, good place to live. You can find bad in everywhere and if you try to find a perfect place to live youll be looking your whole life. Yeah somethings are wrong and we've been at war awhile but believe it or not we have a good cause for them. and you cant blame us for things in the past.

Ultim@te replied...
May 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm :
Amen brother. God bless America

Born-to-save replied...
May 30, 2012 at 6:26 pm :
GOD bless AMERICA

Born-to-save replied...
May 30, 2012 at 6:26 pm :
God bless America... theres a reason you dont hear "God bless sweden"