Welcome to America This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Welcome to America: A land of opportunity
where a man on Welfare can make more than a public school teacher.
Welcome to America: A land paved in gold
where we are in trillions of dollars of debt.
Welcome to America: "Liberty and Justice for all":
where our pledge does not include minors or homosexuals;
where it is not applied to the oppressed and those in debt.
Welcome to America: A land for the people
where the cooperation is clearly a person as you and me, from a political aspect.
Welcome to America: ...and by the people
where you can buy legislative power from a governor in Illinois.
Welcome to America: A effort against the "Drug War"
where we can't even keep our police officers clean.
Welcome to America: Where people and legislature see eye to eye;
where a democracy and a republic clash heads.
Welcome to America: Separation of Church and State
where we have only had two non-Protestant Presidents.
Welcome to America: A land of freedom
where women no rights until 1848, and could not vote until 1920;
where African-Americans were isolated from society until the 1960s;
where American Citizens of the same nation had to kill each other to abolish slavery.
Welcome to America: A Nation of peace
where we are always at war.
Welcome to America: A Nation united
where states are divided.
Welcome to America: A Nation of tolerance
where "the people" see Islam in the government as more of a problem than economic reform.
Welcome to America: A Democracy
where we win votes by scandals and controversy, not political action or issues.
Welcome to America: Does the system work for you?
where fitting into the system is more important than improving it.
Welcome to America: Where several police officers were killed in a cafe a couple of weeks ago;
where no one noticed because they were too preoccupied with the fact that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife.
Welcome to America: Most politicians one were lawyers;
where it seems being a celebrity gives you power equal to that.

Welcome to America where many people who read this article never got past the second line because they would rather ignore the issues than resolve them.

Sunshine15 said...

I see what you're getting at (and that last line was particularly witty) but don't you think that you're being a little harsh?

The United States may be far from perfect, but if you ask me, it's the best country out there. I live in the Middle East, and believe me when I say if some of the countries here would TRY to be more like America (like Syria for instance), we'd all have a better life.

icefaerie10111 replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:25 am
I understand what you are saying. However, the purpose of this poem was not to compare America to other countries. Before the US can become the "model of western democracy" we like to think we are, we have some issues to work out. I personally would not like to live in the middle east or north korea, I understand... but we should always strive to make ourselves more perfect.

BlueRain replied...

I think that's the message people are getting wrong when responding to this poem, "sure America is a bit messed up, but look at everywhere else!" That's definitely not the point. I gave that answer to my parents when I was younger and I tried to convince them I didn't need to go into advanced classes, "I have A's, I did my job." And they kept saying that it didn't matter, that I shouldn't be judging my successes on the height of that scale, that people should always be striving to make the sc... (more »)

AcrossTheUniverse said...
Controversial and biased (though these qualities aren't necessarily negative). It feels overwrought with emotion and not refined enough, but who am I to judge when half of my comments are those qualities? I like it even despite its forceful perspective.

AcrossTheUniverse said...

icefaerie10111 replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:14 am
I actually agree with you on the refinement. It's one of my older poems and I cringe at the structure, three years later.

StrangeJade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Truthful, certainly, but a little too pop-culture-pat at times. And it was unclear, interestingly unclear, to me what your views on the problems presented are. Are you unbiased? I doubt that, but if it is so, I applaud you. And it is good at times to be unbiased on these things, but unless you show a deeper understanding of the problems with America, you sound less thoughtful than you might, and I do not doubt that you are a very thoughtful person.

Bat-Mobile This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This feels more like a list of complaints than an uplifting poem or search for solutions

icefaerie10111 replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:06 am
Being uplifting was not the purpose of this poem, at all. It's one of my old poems, I'lll admit I'm not a huge fan of the style I used. However, you can't fix problems until you recognize them and bring them out to the open. 

foreverlove21 said...
wow. this is amazing.

babysteps said...
Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:34 am
This is an amazing piece of writing!!!

triestoseebothsides said...
well written, but i disagree with a lot of it. America was founded a Christian nation-we have freedom of religion because the founders didn't want to repeat what originally made them leave england. America is not a democracy but a republic(recite the Pledge of Allegience in your head). I think minors should be oppressed to an extent because nowadays, most are not mature enough to be allowed to do everything that most adults are mature enough to do. It's like letting a ten year old play with bead... (more »)

klsmith said...
Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:51 am
whre is the like botton

Music7 replied...
Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:26 am
Where is the LOVE button

tammysaurus101 said...
a great poem indeed... very hardcore and to the truth. i loved how u put no bs in this just total truth...and some people have a hard time realizing that these are the general problems of america. 

LiteraryMastermind said...
WTA 3: Liberty and Justice for All does mean Liberty and Justice for all. However, the fact that people are biased doesn't mean that the law is biased. Fact is, the resistance to the new era with emerging gys is understandable. The Bi.ble speaks against gys (Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve), and, frankly, whether people like it or not, the majority of people in the USA are Chr.istians, Je.ws, or Mus.lims, who all happen to believe the first few chapters of the Old Testament, since they are Abrh... (more »)

LiteraryMastermind replied...
I had to mispell things to get over TI's ban.

icefaerie10111 replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:09 am
orry, I don't argue with ignorant individuals.

LiteraryMastermind said...

WTA 11: I don't even get this one.

WTA 12: Again, Islam is unjustly identified with terrorism. It's sad, but true.

Last WTA: Some people don't read the article because they just don't want to read the article. Not because they want to ignore problems. Just because they don't want to read the article. But hey, they didn't read the end of the article, so they don't know you're ridiculing them behind their backs.

icefaerie10111 replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:08 am
... that last comment you have sounds rediculous. I just mean some people would just roll their eyes at some "hippy" who takes issue with our modern world..