Welcome to America This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Welcome to America: A land of opportunity
where a man on Welfare can make more than a public school teacher.
Welcome to America: A land paved in gold
where we are in trillions of dollars of debt.
Welcome to America: "Liberty and Justice for all":
where our pledge does not include minors or homosexuals;
where it is not applied to the oppressed and those in debt.
Welcome to America: A land for the people
where the cooperation is clearly a person as you and me, from a political aspect.
Welcome to America: ...and by the people
where you can buy legislative power from a governor in Illinois.
Welcome to America: A effort against the "Drug War"
where we can't even keep our police officers clean.
Welcome to America: Where people and legislature see eye to eye;
where a democracy and a republic clash heads.
Welcome to America: Separation of Church and State
where we have only had two non-Protestant Presidents.
Welcome to America: A land of freedom
where women no rights until 1848, and could not vote until 1920;
where African-Americans were isolated from society until the 1960s;
where American Citizens of the same nation had to kill each other to abolish slavery.
Welcome to America: A Nation of peace
where we are always at war.
Welcome to America: A Nation united
where states are divided.
Welcome to America: A Nation of tolerance
where "the people" see Islam in the government as more of a problem than economic reform.
Welcome to America: A Democracy
where we win votes by scandals and controversy, not political action or issues.
Welcome to America: Does the system work for you?
where fitting into the system is more important than improving it.
Welcome to America: Where several police officers were killed in a cafe a couple of weeks ago;
where no one noticed because they were too preoccupied with the fact that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife.
Welcome to America: Most politicians one were lawyers;
where it seems being a celebrity gives you power equal to that.

Welcome to America where many people who read this article never got past the second line because they would rather ignore the issues than resolve them.

ShadowwThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:50 pm:
I absolutely love your article. I like how you tell how everything really is in America. This country isn't perfect and it will never get any closer if we don't do anything about it.

Ken W. said...
Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:43 pm:

I was just reading Farenheit 451, which is an illusion of future America in a negative way. Your answer is definitely another view of how negative America has become. I applaud you for speaking the truth. I think this essay definitly portrays the negatives of America.

The positive, you should see, is that America is ok with you posting this.

icefaerie10111 replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:18 am :
Thank you so much :). However, I agree with you that I'm happy I can post this. However, many people here believe the purpose of this poem is for me to argue that Ameriuca sucks and the rest of the world is totally awesome. Such is not the case. I just believe we have many issues we need to sort out before we can fully consider ourselves the "model of western democracy".

isrules said...
Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:01 pm:
this.is.amazing

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:19 pm:
Thank you for having the guts to finally speak the trueth.

redhairCat This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 26, 2012 at 1:49 pm:
Sooo good! I really loved it. The sarcasm is great! Would you mind checking out one of my poems - Homework in High School? Thanks!

writer3499 said...
Jun. 23, 2012 at 7:55 pm:
wow...its kinda scary how true that was! Amazing!

Nannna said...
Jun. 21, 2012 at 6:25 pm:
That was all so true. I wanted to make a poem about this myself, but your words couldn't have been put any better.

purpleink said...
Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:19 pm:
makes one think--breathtaking!

BookwizardThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:16 pm:
Deep bro. True also. I love it!!

necci said...
Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:47 pm:

true

Jessie D. said...
Jun. 18, 2012 at 12:23 pm:
I fell in love with this poem on the first line. It's a fantastic, eye opening piece. Love, love, love it!

Caleb.Andrews said...
Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:05 pm:
Excellent poem! There are some flaws in logic (e.g. "A Nation of peace where we are always at war" is a non-sequitur; just because a nation is constantly at war does not at all mean that that nation is not a peaceful nation; in fact, virtually every military specialist {both personnel and scientist} would contend that, in many cases, war is needed to protect the future possibility of peace), but most of the points presented are very true. Not many people have this gift with words.

icefaerie10111 replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:20 am :
I understand your views on war and peace. However, I believe wars such as World War II were justified, but Iraq is not. 
Our national agenda should not put the lives of millions at risk unless their is a good reason to do so.

HiddenAngelInTheDark said...
Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:54 pm:
This is what American is, it is blind by those who fear showing it's imperfect flaws and tho they must try and push to create something that cannot be there only to have more harm than good done. Great work honestly just beautiful

MissLauraWind This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:14 pm:
This piece is absolutely amazing. Not only does it follow a super effective repetitive pattern but it is also the complete truth! 
Thank you for this, we need more people like you!
Great job!

jackiee129This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 14, 2012 at 5:38 pm:

This article rings true and is very powerful and thought provoking. I love that you tackled such a controversial topic and brought up a lot of issues most Americans are too afraid to face.

As for the writing, i believe it could have flowed a lot more nicely, and there were some glaring spelling and grammatical errors. I did like the "Welcome to America" lines, they sumed up the point very well.

icefaerie10111 replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:22 am :
Thank you for reading and understanding my poem.
I understand my grammer and formatting is prety terrible, this is one of my older poems. I actually cringe at the structure I wrote it in, lol. xD

jackiee129This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:06 am :
maybe you should try re-formatting it? just a suggestion.

fey.sense. said...
Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:34 pm:
While it's a good idea to raise these issues, I think the tone could have used a serious attidtude adjustment.  It sounds whiney.  I don't think the line about how women and african americans didn't have equal rights until the 1900's actually weakened this piece.  It belittles the steps America as a whole has taken- how does that encourage further progress?  I can imagine in many years a similar article with the line: "Welcome to America:  A country that was not free of ... (more »)