Welcome to America

By icefaerie10111 GOLD, Exeter, Rhode Island
icefaerie10111 GOLD, Exeter, Rhode Island

Welcome to America: A land of opportunity
where a man on Welfare can make more than a public school teacher.
Welcome to America: A land paved in gold
where we are in trillions of dollars of debt.
Welcome to America: "Liberty and Justice for all":
where our pledge does not include minors or homosexuals;
where it is not applied to the oppressed and those in debt.
Welcome to America: A land for the people
where the cooperation is clearly a person as you and me, from a political aspect.
Welcome to America: ...and by the people
where you can buy legislative power from a governor in Illinois.
Welcome to America: A effort against the "Drug War"
where we can't even keep our police officers clean.
Welcome to America: Where people and legislature see eye to eye;
where a democracy and a republic clash heads.
Welcome to America: Separation of Church and State
where we have only had two non-Protestant Presidents.
Welcome to America: A land of freedom
where women no rights until 1848, and could not vote until 1920;
where African-Americans were isolated from society until the 1960s;
where American Citizens of the same nation had to kill each other to abolish slavery.
Welcome to America: A Nation of peace
where we are always at war.
Welcome to America: A Nation united
where states are divided.
Welcome to America: A Nation of tolerance
where "the people" see Islam in the government as more of a problem than economic reform.
Welcome to America: A Democracy
where we win votes by scandals and controversy, not political action or issues.
Welcome to America: Does the system work for you?
where fitting into the system is more important than improving it.
Welcome to America: Where several police officers were killed in a cafe a couple of weeks ago;
where no one noticed because they were too preoccupied with the fact that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife.
Welcome to America: Most politicians one were lawyers;
where it seems being a celebrity gives you power equal to that.

Welcome to America where many people who read this article never got past the second line because they would rather ignore the issues than resolve them.

on Jul. 5 2012 at 11:34 am
Floyd7888 SILVER, Pleasant Grove, Utah
they should read this artical to elementary kids so they wont be brainwashed their whole lives thinking that theres absolutly nothing wrong with us

GHALC BRONZE said...
on Jul. 3 2012 at 9:57 pm
GHALC BRONZE, Adasdasd, Kansas
Ive read this, over and over. I love it, theres a couple grammatical errors but who doesnt have'em? Thank you for this, its awesome :D

AMJaeh DIAMOND said...
on Jul. 3 2012 at 8:03 am
AMJaeh DIAMOND, Gallatin, Tennessee

you don't have to understand the language to know its Poetik written Muzyk~PoetikMuzyk
Not Everything is ours to keep, no matter how hard we had to fight for it~PoetikMuzyk
‎"The face of my enemy only frightens me when I see how much it resembles mine"
- Stanislaw J. Lec

a few neurons can make us all a morons dont you think?

Well let me tell you....i read every word to the end and the last line really got my attention and your right a lot of us "Americans" would rather overlook the source of our problem...which not speaking up doing something about a situation...I absolutely love this piece and shared it for all my friends to see....wonderful job...im sure you opened up a lot of tight shut eyes with this one....

on Jul. 1 2012 at 5:37 am
Songs_Along GOLD, Abcd, Other

"Sometimes we are only given a few minutes to be with the one we love and a thousand hours to spend just thinking about them."

very nice indeed...i loved the repetition of WELCOME TO AMERICA.....splendid.. :)

on Jun. 30 2012 at 2:26 pm
She-who-loves-love SILVER, Tecumseh, Oklahoma

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever left, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
-Sherlock Holmes

This article is just... so absolutely true. I think everyone thinks there might be something a little bit screwy with the way this country is run, but it takes a strong mind to even admit it to yourself, and it takes a hero to admit it to the public, to acknowledge it in this way.

Shadoww GOLD said...
on Jun. 28 2012 at 7:50 pm
Shadoww GOLD, Oak Lawn, Illinois
I absolutely love your article. I like how you tell how everything really is in America. This country isn't perfect and it will never get any closer if we don't do anything about it.

on Jun. 28 2012 at 10:06 am
jackiee129 PLATINUM, Kent, Connecticut

"It makes me happy when I see teenage girls who clearly don't fit in, gives me hope that the future might still have personality" - Haley Williams

“You are not your bra-size, nor are you the width of your waist, nor are you the slenderness of your calves. You are not your hair color, your skin color, nor are you a shade of lipstick. Your shoe-size is of no consequence. You are not defined by the amount of attention you get from males, females, or any combination thereof. You are not the number of sit-ups you can do, nor are you the number of calories in a day. You are not your mustache. You are not the hair on your legs. You are not a little red dress. You are no amalgam of these things. You are the content of your character. You are the ambitions that drive you. You are the goals that you set. You are the things that you laugh at and the words that you say. You are the thoughts you think and the things you wonder. You are beautiful and desirable not for the clique you attend, but for the spark of life within you that compels you to make your life a full and meaningful one. You are beautiful not for the shape of the vessel, but for the volume of the soul it carries.”

maybe you should try re-formatting it? just a suggestion.

on Jun. 28 2012 at 9:28 am
I must have commented this a thousand times: the purpose of this poem is not to compare America to other countries, it is to point out our flaws in our "model of western democracy" and hopefully open peoples' eyes so we can makes changes.

on Jun. 28 2012 at 9:27 am
Um.... we sort of broke isolationism during WWI.
Wow. Just wow, "Liiteracy Mastermind." Not so much for histpry, are we?

on Jun. 28 2012 at 9:25 am
I understand what you are saying. However, the purpose of this poem was not to compare America to other countries. Before the US can become the "model of western democracy" we like to think we are, we have some issues to work out. I personally would not like to live in the middle east or north korea, I understand... but we should always strive to make ourselves more perfect.

on Jun. 28 2012 at 9:22 am
Thank you for reading and understanding my poem.
I understand my grammer and formatting is prety terrible, this is one of my older poems. I actually cringe at the structure I wrote it in, lol. xD

on Jun. 28 2012 at 9:20 am
I understand your views on war and peace. However, I believe wars such as World War II were justified, but Iraq is not. 
Our national agenda should not put the lives of millions at risk unless their is a good reason to do so.

on Jun. 28 2012 at 9:18 am
Thank you so much :). However, I agree with you that I'm happy I can post this. However, many people here believe the purpose of this poem is for me to argue that Ameriuca sucks and the rest of the world is totally awesome. Such is not the case. I just believe we have many issues we need to sort out before we can fully consider ourselves the "model of western democracy".

on Jun. 28 2012 at 9:16 am
I say "God Bless the Word."
We all need His belessing (however, please note, I am not overly religious).
Just because you're American doesn't mean you are entitled

on Jun. 28 2012 at 9:14 am
I actually agree with you on the refinement. It's one of my older poems and I cringe at the structure, three years later.

on Jun. 28 2012 at 9:13 am
Okay, so the purpose of this poem was not to compare America with other countries. Like, AT ALL. It was simply to say we should not be "the standard" when we are so hypocritical and flawed. I agree we have abetter government than many places in the world... just, we should put a little more effort into perfecting ourselves so we can be proud to be that standard of western democracy.

on Jun. 28 2012 at 9:11 am
I'm Catholic and I find you offensive. 
NEXT COMMENT, PLEASE.

on Jun. 28 2012 at 9:09 am
orry, I don't argue with ignorant individuals.

on Jun. 28 2012 at 9:08 am
... that last comment you have sounds rediculous. I just mean some people would just roll their eyes at some "hippy" who takes issue with our modern world..

on Jun. 28 2012 at 9:06 am
Being uplifting was not the purpose of this poem, at all. It's one of my old poems, I'lll admit I'm not a huge fan of the style I used. However, you can't fix problems until you recognize them and bring them out to the open. 

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!