Welcome to America This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Welcome to America: A land of opportunity
where a man on Welfare can make more than a public school teacher.
Welcome to America: A land paved in gold
where we are in trillions of dollars of debt.
Welcome to America: "Liberty and Justice for all":
where our pledge does not include minors or homosexuals;
where it is not applied to the oppressed and those in debt.
Welcome to America: A land for the people
where the cooperation is clearly a person as you and me, from a political aspect.
Welcome to America: ...and by the people
where you can buy legislative power from a governor in Illinois.
Welcome to America: A effort against the "Drug War"
where we can't even keep our police officers clean.
Welcome to America: Where people and legislature see eye to eye;
where a democracy and a republic clash heads.
Welcome to America: Separation of Church and State
where we have only had two non-Protestant Presidents.
Welcome to America: A land of freedom
where women no rights until 1848, and could not vote until 1920;
where African-Americans were isolated from society until the 1960s;
where American Citizens of the same nation had to kill each other to abolish slavery.
Welcome to America: A Nation of peace
where we are always at war.
Welcome to America: A Nation united
where states are divided.
Welcome to America: A Nation of tolerance
where "the people" see Islam in the government as more of a problem than economic reform.
Welcome to America: A Democracy
where we win votes by scandals and controversy, not political action or issues.
Welcome to America: Does the system work for you?
where fitting into the system is more important than improving it.
Welcome to America: Where several police officers were killed in a cafe a couple of weeks ago;
where no one noticed because they were too preoccupied with the fact that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife.
Welcome to America: Most politicians one were lawyers;
where it seems being a celebrity gives you power equal to that.

Welcome to America where many people who read this article never got past the second line because they would rather ignore the issues than resolve them.

shark said...
Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:39 pm:
I totaly agree with what you are saying! Not to mention our unemplyment is up to about 8% because our jobs are being outsourced. Where women get pregent and get money from the govorment because they are a single mom and they never even bother to get a job! America is screwed up and we need to make a change soon or we will be in a hole that we are unable to fill!

RainbowKat said...
Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:12 am:
This is truly a unique piece, it expresses all of America's issues in an interesting way. Anyone who tries to justify any of these issues doesn't know what they're talking about. Excellent job

Horsegal15 said...
Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:34 am:

This is amazing..it definitely speaks the truth about what is happening

TheBlackRose said...
Jul. 7, 2012 at 10:04 am:
Great article, I think we should all try to transmit this message always. I would also like to say that all the problems you wrote about aren´t only an issue for Americans, here in Spain (and I guess all over the world) they´re exactly the same 

SamsQThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:47 am:
Wow. This is amazing! This piece really spoke to me. You really know how to make a statement! Keep writin!

Floyd7888 said...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:34 am:
they should read this artical to elementary kids so they wont be brainwashed their whole lives thinking that theres absolutly nothing wrong with us

Tusillody said...
Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:57 pm:
Ive read this, over and over. I love it, theres a couple grammatical errors but who doesnt have'em? Thank you for this, its awesome :D

AMJaeh said...
Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:03 am:
Well let me tell you....i read every word to the end and the last line really got my attention and your right a lot of us "Americans" would rather overlook the source of our problem...which not speaking up doing something about a situation...I absolutely love this piece and shared it for all my friends to see....wonderful job...im sure you opened up a lot of tight shut eyes with this one....

KanupriyaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 1, 2012 at 5:37 am:
very nice indeed...i loved the repetition of WELCOME TO AMERICA.....splendid.. :)

She-who-loves-love said...
Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:26 pm:
This article is just... so absolutely true. I think everyone thinks there might be something a little bit screwy with the way this country is run, but it takes a strong mind to even admit it to yourself, and it takes a hero to admit it to the public, to acknowledge it in this way.

ShadowwThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:50 pm:
I absolutely love your article. I like how you tell how everything really is in America. This country isn't perfect and it will never get any closer if we don't do anything about it.

Ken W. said...
Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:43 pm:

I was just reading Farenheit 451, which is an illusion of future America in a negative way. Your answer is definitely another view of how negative America has become. I applaud you for speaking the truth. I think this essay definitly portrays the negatives of America.

The positive, you should see, is that America is ok with you posting this.

icefaerie10111 replied...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:18 am :
Thank you so much :). However, I agree with you that I'm happy I can post this. However, many people here believe the purpose of this poem is for me to argue that Ameriuca sucks and the rest of the world is totally awesome. Such is not the case. I just believe we have many issues we need to sort out before we can fully consider ourselves the "model of western democracy".

isrules said...
Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:01 pm:
this.is.amazing

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:19 pm:
Thank you for having the guts to finally speak the trueth.

redhairCat This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 26, 2012 at 1:49 pm:
Sooo good! I really loved it. The sarcasm is great! Would you mind checking out one of my poems - Homework in High School? Thanks!

writer3499 said...
Jun. 23, 2012 at 7:55 pm:
wow...its kinda scary how true that was! Amazing!

Nannna said...
Jun. 21, 2012 at 6:25 pm:
That was all so true. I wanted to make a poem about this myself, but your words couldn't have been put any better.

purpleink said...
Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:19 pm:
makes one think--breathtaking!

BookwizardThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:16 pm:
Deep bro. True also. I love it!!