Welcome to America This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Welcome to America: A land of opportunity
where a man on Welfare can make more than a public school teacher.
Welcome to America: A land paved in gold
where we are in trillions of dollars of debt.
Welcome to America: "Liberty and Justice for all":
where our pledge does not include minors or homosexuals;
where it is not applied to the oppressed and those in debt.
Welcome to America: A land for the people
where the cooperation is clearly a person as you and me, from a political aspect.
Welcome to America: ...and by the people
where you can buy legislative power from a governor in Illinois.
Welcome to America: A effort against the "Drug War"
where we can't even keep our police officers clean.
Welcome to America: Where people and legislature see eye to eye;
where a democracy and a republic clash heads.
Welcome to America: Separation of Church and State
where we have only had two non-Protestant Presidents.
Welcome to America: A land of freedom
where women no rights until 1848, and could not vote until 1920;
where African-Americans were isolated from society until the 1960s;
where American Citizens of the same nation had to kill each other to abolish slavery.
Welcome to America: A Nation of peace
where we are always at war.
Welcome to America: A Nation united
where states are divided.
Welcome to America: A Nation of tolerance
where "the people" see Islam in the government as more of a problem than economic reform.
Welcome to America: A Democracy
where we win votes by scandals and controversy, not political action or issues.
Welcome to America: Does the system work for you?
where fitting into the system is more important than improving it.
Welcome to America: Where several police officers were killed in a cafe a couple of weeks ago;
where no one noticed because they were too preoccupied with the fact that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife.
Welcome to America: Most politicians one were lawyers;
where it seems being a celebrity gives you power equal to that.

Welcome to America where many people who read this article never got past the second line because they would rather ignore the issues than resolve them.

Xinhui said...
Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:41 am:
Welcome to America: A land of opportunity Where most immigrants can only work in certain jobs

MateoMansillaMoyaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:15 am :
That is quite right!

Xinhui said...
Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:41 am:

MarisaCoulterCrazyWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is so depressing and yet so incredibly true! I love it!

Imperfectlife said...
I love this poem, and it's so true. I couldn't stop reading, I kept going till the last line, and I want more!

tnf88 said...
Wow i loved your stucture, but if you dislike our country so much than go try living in a country where your killed for your religion or your dying of starvation, I'm just a kid and i don't know much about that stuff but I do know we have it better than other people. I respect your opinion 100%. Just think you live in a country where you can express youreslf freely as you just have. Keep writing!!!

LittleFlutiePie said...
Absolutely amazing! I was about to log off for the day, saw the title, and started reading. You captured me from the first line. I love this! Many people do think America is the greatest country in the world; in some ways, it is. But even we have our faults--I try to preach this to the extremely country-proud rednecks at my school who don't listen to reason most of the time--and it seems like no one but the people ignored (minors) and prejudiced want to actually change anything.

MarieAntoinette2012 said...
Sept. 13, 2012 at 11:28 am:
Omg, you deserve a freaking medal. Thank god there are people like you out there, who have the guts to say this! I agree with you a hundred percent.

Emin3mAC said...
The BEST poem I've seen on here! Write another! 

Boj95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is great! I really agree with a lot of what you are saying. It is wrong that "Liberty and Justice" is not really for all, and politicians who care more about reelection than actually solving anything make me mad. From a writing standpoint you might want to rewrite some choppy lines that were a bit hard to understand. This is great!

shark said...
Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:39 pm:
I totaly agree with what you are saying! Not to mention our unemplyment is up to about 8% because our jobs are being outsourced. Where women get pregent and get money from the govorment because they are a single mom and they never even bother to get a job! America is screwed up and we need to make a change soon or we will be in a hole that we are unable to fill!

RainbowKat said...
Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:12 am:
This is truly a unique piece, it expresses all of America's issues in an interesting way. Anyone who tries to justify any of these issues doesn't know what they're talking about. Excellent job

Horsegal15 said...
Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:34 am:

This is amazing..it definitely speaks the truth about what is happening

TheBlackRose said...
Jul. 7, 2012 at 10:04 am:
Great article, I think we should all try to transmit this message always. I would also like to say that all the problems you wrote about aren´t only an issue for Americans, here in Spain (and I guess all over the world) they´re exactly the same 

SamsQThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:47 am:
Wow. This is amazing! This piece really spoke to me. You really know how to make a statement! Keep writin!

Floyd7888 said...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:34 am:
they should read this artical to elementary kids so they wont be brainwashed their whole lives thinking that theres absolutly nothing wrong with us

Tusillody said...
Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:57 pm:
Ive read this, over and over. I love it, theres a couple grammatical errors but who doesnt have'em? Thank you for this, its awesome :D

AMJaeh said...
Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:03 am:
Well let me tell you....i read every word to the end and the last line really got my attention and your right a lot of us "Americans" would rather overlook the source of our problem...which not speaking up doing something about a situation...I absolutely love this piece and shared it for all my friends to see....wonderful job...im sure you opened up a lot of tight shut eyes with this one....

KanupriyaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 1, 2012 at 5:37 am:
very nice indeed...i loved the repetition of WELCOME TO AMERICA.....splendid.. :)

She-who-loves-love said...
Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:26 pm:
This article is just... so absolutely true. I think everyone thinks there might be something a little bit screwy with the way this country is run, but it takes a strong mind to even admit it to yourself, and it takes a hero to admit it to the public, to acknowledge it in this way.