Welcome to America This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Welcome to America: A land of opportunity
where a man on Welfare can make more than a public school teacher.
Welcome to America: A land paved in gold
where we are in trillions of dollars of debt.
Welcome to America: "Liberty and Justice for all":
where our pledge does not include minors or homosexuals;
where it is not applied to the oppressed and those in debt.
Welcome to America: A land for the people
where the cooperation is clearly a person as you and me, from a political aspect.
Welcome to America: ...and by the people
where you can buy legislative power from a governor in Illinois.
Welcome to America: A effort against the "Drug War"
where we can't even keep our police officers clean.
Welcome to America: Where people and legislature see eye to eye;
where a democracy and a republic clash heads.
Welcome to America: Separation of Church and State
where we have only had two non-Protestant Presidents.
Welcome to America: A land of freedom
where women no rights until 1848, and could not vote until 1920;
where African-Americans were isolated from society until the 1960s;
where American Citizens of the same nation had to kill each other to abolish slavery.
Welcome to America: A Nation of peace
where we are always at war.
Welcome to America: A Nation united
where states are divided.
Welcome to America: A Nation of tolerance
where "the people" see Islam in the government as more of a problem than economic reform.
Welcome to America: A Democracy
where we win votes by scandals and controversy, not political action or issues.
Welcome to America: Does the system work for you?
where fitting into the system is more important than improving it.
Welcome to America: Where several police officers were killed in a cafe a couple of weeks ago;
where no one noticed because they were too preoccupied with the fact that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife.
Welcome to America: Most politicians one were lawyers;
where it seems being a celebrity gives you power equal to that.

Welcome to America where many people who read this article never got past the second line because they would rather ignore the issues than resolve them.

Hunting_Gurl said...
Mar. 1 at 2:01 pm
Wow, I really enjoyed reading this. It made me think about things you don't really realize about America.

jos10099This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 20 at 1:32 pm
I beleive it is up to a person to define what freedom is...dont just complain about issues do things to change them.

Bluetooth13 said...
Feb. 1 at 5:14 pm
This is great! Check out my work?

AandGThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 22 at 12:39 pm
Pretty perfect, well written and accurate portrayal of the country, unfortunately 

circlesinaroundaroom said...
Jan. 20 at 7:30 pm
This is extremely preachy. I think everything you put in here, we all already know. It was written well, but it was trying to make a point that has already been made.

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 2 at 8:44 pm
I think sometimes further proving a point, like you said, really helps emphasize what the author is trying to portray. Plus, I've never seen anything about American written this way, so it hit home with me.

rainbowwriter said...
Jan. 19 at 12:52 pm
I love this poem because it brings a new argument to the stand which was very much needed. However, I do think that we should recognize the progress this country has made over the years, since some of the examples provided in this article are from years ago. But other than that, great and wonderful point. Just sticking up for my country :)

JosiSunnyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 16 at 1:11 pm
Our country is messed up. Falling down. Thank you for making this awareness, even if some people didn't read it because they are too dumb to recognize the world they live in is corrupted. You are awesome

swee1mrstarman said...
This is a great poem I really connected when I read this article your an amassing writer very expressive thank you

saracouturier said...
I really like your poem! I am new on this site and would really appreciate it if you could look at some of my work! Thanks if you do!

TheSkyOwesMeRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:41 am
So true! I love it!

freepersonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
wow this is so true!!! and i got past the second line

ZephyrPunk This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nice, so tue

SnowSparks said...
Hi , I wanted to use your poem for my debate class in an oral interpretation (acting this out) . One of the required things is to give credit to the author but your name isn't posted. Can you email me or respond with your full name ? I won't use it for any other purpose than for school .

AngelHeart654 said...
Oct. 31, 2012 at 8:41 am
Wow So true

WhittyKittyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is amazing and it's true. Do you mind if I use it (positively) in a English report I'm doing???

icefaerie10111 replied...
Of course, go right ahead ^^

WhittyKittyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 3, 2012 at 11:18 am
Okay great! Thanks so much!

Marianasandrsx3 said...
Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:47 am
I agree with the poem, because the author is telling us what is really happening in America. It's also making me realize of what country we are living in.

Xinhui said...
Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:41 am
Welcome to America: A land of opportunity Where most immigrants can only work in certain jobs