Welcome to America This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Welcome to America: A land of opportunity
where a man on Welfare can make more than a public school teacher.
Welcome to America: A land paved in gold
where we are in trillions of dollars of debt.
Welcome to America: "Liberty and Justice for all":
where our pledge does not include minors or homosexuals;
where it is not applied to the oppressed and those in debt.
Welcome to America: A land for the people
where the cooperation is clearly a person as you and me, from a political aspect.
Welcome to America: ...and by the people
where you can buy legislative power from a governor in Illinois.
Welcome to America: A effort against the "Drug War"
where we can't even keep our police officers clean.
Welcome to America: Where people and legislature see eye to eye;
where a democracy and a republic clash heads.
Welcome to America: Separation of Church and State
where we have only had two non-Protestant Presidents.
Welcome to America: A land of freedom
where women no rights until 1848, and could not vote until 1920;
where African-Americans were isolated from society until the 1960s;
where American Citizens of the same nation had to kill each other to abolish slavery.
Welcome to America: A Nation of peace
where we are always at war.
Welcome to America: A Nation united
where states are divided.
Welcome to America: A Nation of tolerance
where "the people" see Islam in the government as more of a problem than economic reform.
Welcome to America: A Democracy
where we win votes by scandals and controversy, not political action or issues.
Welcome to America: Does the system work for you?
where fitting into the system is more important than improving it.
Welcome to America: Where several police officers were killed in a cafe a couple of weeks ago;
where no one noticed because they were too preoccupied with the fact that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife.
Welcome to America: Most politicians one were lawyers;
where it seems being a celebrity gives you power equal to that.

Welcome to America where many people who read this article never got past the second line because they would rather ignore the issues than resolve them.

_Zavery_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 6:13 pm:
I always show the students in my civics class this poem, since it is just so raw and true, and I am so glad someone spoke these words. I especially love the line "A land paved in gold where we are in trillions of dollars in debt". Amazing work and very very well written! 

Tente said...
yesterday at 6:43 pm:
This poem truly spoke to me! I loved how one line in it was about the sterotype that America has created and the other was the true America!

TakeAGuessKataraThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 5 at 9:42 pm:
This poem was written very nicely and truly showed what America has to offer but, she only highlighted the negative. It only shows what's wrong with the country adn not the amazing things it has done. Nice writing and it did say the truth but not the whole truth

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 2 at 8:42 pm:
The beginning line really struck me, and as I continued to read it, it got more and more interesting as I went down the page. I like how you had one of America's titles, (like "A Nation United") and then added how it wasn't, or how that title was ironic ('where states are divided" or whatever it said). That was really cool, really cool. I enjoyed this a lot. It opened my eyes and honestly, it made me realize how messed up America is. If only we had a president who coul... (more »)

Cindy152 said...
Apr. 1 at 7:45 am:
Genius poem! I love it! As a foreigner, you have truly opened my eyes to the fact that even super nations like the US have major flaws too--the ones us foreigners are oblivious to because you don't get to see the truths in movies and magazines ;) So now I appreciate my homeland more because it does not, in fact, completely suck. This just shows that every nation has its own flaws but we have to accept it anyway because it is, after all, home. 

Littlebunny said...
Mar. 31 at 8:54 am:
I liked the idea of this poem, but that one line about how a man on welfare can get more then a public school teachwer isn't exactly right. It just feels like your negatively commenting on people who are on welfare.

Secluded_Savior said...
Mar. 26 at 4:08 pm:
icefaerie10111 - I am a public speaker. I go around many different places and speak about rights and the difference between law and ethnicity, and I just wanted to ask you if it would be alright with you if I use this article of yours in my speeches. I promise, you will recieve full credit for the ariticle. :)

WilliamNThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 12 at 9:46 am:
I'm living in Europe right now (though I am American), and you will not believe how many Europeans would agree with you. It is known throughout the world that America is like the C-grade rich kid on the corner with all the fancy toys. I think the only people who would disagree with you are Americans. We truly are not "the land of the free, and the home of the brave". We're more like "the land of limited freedom, and the home of the arrogant war-interveners".

jojo_d replied...
Mar. 16 at 4:35 pm :
William- Everything you say is true, and trust me, I expected great criticism from people on this poem because it was saying bad things about America.  But, there is just as much bad in America as any other country, and maybe what some people are trying to say is that there is also tons of beauty.  Unique to America, and maybe only people who live hear and take advantage of this beauty are able to understand it.  Keep in mind, this country is full of problems, but no more or no ... (more »)

Janelle7This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 11 at 11:46 am:
WOw! i really liked this! So truthful! this shows how it really is! Great work!

Hunting_GurlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 1 at 2:01 pm:
Wow, I really enjoyed reading this. It made me think about things you don't really realize about America.

jos10099 said...
Feb. 20 at 1:32 pm:
I beleive it is up to a person to define what freedom is...dont just complain about issues do things to change them.

Bluetooth13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 1 at 5:14 pm:
This is great! Check out my work?

AandGThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 22 at 12:39 pm:
Pretty perfect, well written and accurate portrayal of the country, unfortunately 

circlesinaroundaroom said...
Jan. 20 at 7:30 pm:
This is extremely preachy. I think everything you put in here, we all already know. It was written well, but it was trying to make a point that has already been made.

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 2 at 8:44 pm :
I think sometimes further proving a point, like you said, really helps emphasize what the author is trying to portray. Plus, I've never seen anything about American written this way, so it hit home with me.

rainbowwriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 19 at 12:52 pm:
I love this poem because it brings a new argument to the stand which was very much needed. However, I do think that we should recognize the progress this country has made over the years, since some of the examples provided in this article are from years ago. But other than that, great and wonderful point. Just sticking up for my country :)

JosiSunnyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 16 at 1:11 pm:
Our country is messed up. Falling down. Thank you for making this awareness, even if some people didn't read it because they are too dumb to recognize the world they live in is corrupted. You are awesome

swee1mrstarman said...
This is a great poem I really connected when I read this article your an amassing writer very expressive thank you

saracouturier said...
I really like your poem! I am new on this site and would really appreciate it if you could look at some of my work! Thanks if you do!