Welcome to America This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Welcome to America: A land of opportunity
where a man on Welfare can make more than a public school teacher.
Welcome to America: A land paved in gold
where we are in trillions of dollars of debt.
Welcome to America: "Liberty and Justice for all":
where our pledge does not include minors or homosexuals;
where it is not applied to the oppressed and those in debt.
Welcome to America: A land for the people
where the cooperation is clearly a person as you and me, from a political aspect.
Welcome to America: ...and by the people
where you can buy legislative power from a governor in Illinois.
Welcome to America: A effort against the "Drug War"
where we can't even keep our police officers clean.
Welcome to America: Where people and legislature see eye to eye;
where a democracy and a republic clash heads.
Welcome to America: Separation of Church and State
where we have only had two non-Protestant Presidents.
Welcome to America: A land of freedom
where women no rights until 1848, and could not vote until 1920;
where African-Americans were isolated from society until the 1960s;
where American Citizens of the same nation had to kill each other to abolish slavery.
Welcome to America: A Nation of peace
where we are always at war.
Welcome to America: A Nation united
where states are divided.
Welcome to America: A Nation of tolerance
where "the people" see Islam in the government as more of a problem than economic reform.
Welcome to America: A Democracy
where we win votes by scandals and controversy, not political action or issues.
Welcome to America: Does the system work for you?
where fitting into the system is more important than improving it.
Welcome to America: Where several police officers were killed in a cafe a couple of weeks ago;
where no one noticed because they were too preoccupied with the fact that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife.
Welcome to America: Most politicians one were lawyers;
where it seems being a celebrity gives you power equal to that.

Welcome to America where many people who read this article never got past the second line because they would rather ignore the issues than resolve them.

justarandom said...
Nov. 17 at 2:01 am
im not American but this does still relate to my countries politics.

nealvandemark said...
Aug. 15 at 12:25 am
amazing, you are revolutionary

Hails_Was_Here said...
you have a gift

gls_4 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:26 am
This is very true and i did read the whole thing.

Bismah said...
This really got to me and everything you mentioned is absolutelty true. Not only about America in specific but people in general and how we tend to avoid our problems instead of facing them. I love the way you structured it. Great job!

Roseate This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That last line really hit me hard because-- and I'm not even going to lie-- I did skip to the end. This is so original in that it reveals the issues of our nation by contrasting it with everyone's stereotypes and expectations. Crazy profound and fascinating; I'll definitely read it all the way through now!

Dezarae said...
I. Love. This. It displays all of feelings in a group of well written stanzas. great job. 

Neon_Gypsy_Blood said...
This is awesome! Its so true... But it's a raw convicting truth. Especially at the end when you explain people avoiding to face the truth. It places a conviction into one's mind. I enjoy the realness of this.  It's a very good piece. I plan on sharing this with people! Keep it up, you're inspiring people.(:

Love2Read72 said...
May 14, 2014 at 8:59 am
Thank you!

Starcatcher001 said...
This is such a powerful and compelling piece; I thank you for sharing it with the world. Your poem presents an opinion that many people including myself share in a fluid and comprehensive manner. Congratulations on your success with this piece! I hope you will keep writing such lovely poetry.

bewareofbunnyrabbits said...
May 7, 2014 at 9:12 am
EXACTLY!!!!!! You just said what needs to be said. Thank you for this.

annie123 said...
May 1, 2014 at 10:55 am
I love how this applies to so many different groups of people

mollybug13 said...
This is so true.  Great poem.      

_Zavery_ said...
I always show the students in my civics class this poem, since it is just so raw and true, and I am so glad someone spoke these words. I especially love the line "A land paved in gold where we are in trillions of dollars in debt". Amazing work and very very well written! 

Tente said...
This poem truly spoke to me! I loved how one line in it was about the sterotype that America has created and the other was the true America!

TakeAGuessKatara said...
This poem was written very nicely and truly showed what America has to offer but, she only highlighted the negative. It only shows what's wrong with the country adn not the amazing things it has done. Nice writing and it did say the truth but not the whole truth

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The beginning line really struck me, and as I continued to read it, it got more and more interesting as I went down the page. I like how you had one of America's titles, (like "A Nation United") and then added how it wasn't, or how that title was ironic ('where states are divided" or whatever it said). That was really cool, really cool. I enjoyed this a lot. It opened my eyes and honestly, it made me realize how messed up America is. If only we had a president who coul... (more »)

Cindy152 said...
Apr. 1, 2014 at 7:45 am
Genius poem! I love it! As a foreigner, you have truly opened my eyes to the fact that even super nations like the US have major flaws too--the ones us foreigners are oblivious to because you don't get to see the truths in movies and magazines ;) So now I appreciate my homeland more because it does not, in fact, completely suck. This just shows that every nation has its own flaws but we have to accept it anyway because it is, after all, home. 

Littlebunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:54 am
I liked the idea of this poem, but that one line about how a man on welfare can get more then a public school teachwer isn't exactly right. It just feels like your negatively commenting on people who are on welfare.

Secluded_Savior said...
icefaerie10111 - I am a public speaker. I go around many different places and speak about rights and the difference between law and ethnicity, and I just wanted to ask you if it would be alright with you if I use this article of yours in my speeches. I promise, you will recieve full credit for the ariticle. :)