A Holocaust Victim's Point Of View This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I wear the Star of David
Strung upon a golden chain
Draped around my neck in pride
Yet they see it as a stain

They cannot see my heart
For what it truly is
Cannot Hitler hear the sound,
Beat-beating just as his?

Like a bullet piercing through my skin,
Blood pouring from the shot,
Like a glass of red, red wine,
-Shattered on the Kristallnacht.

My heart is broken by the torment,
By the scorn and the abuse,
Fast upon my heels
Hitler’s hounds have been set loose.

All my people are condemned
My hopes and dreams forgotten
In my sight I see my end
My beliefs, they have deemed rotten

There is no use in fighting
Breathe in, breathe out. Surrender
Nothing can protect you
No guard or defender

Swing lower now sweet chariot
From the Ghetto make a prison break
I’ve been giving oh, so much
What more have they to take?

They took me from my family
They took me from my home
It seems they’ve taken everything
My religion’s all I own

I am up at dawn
And lashed till dark
My screams drown out
The angels hark

As they’d visit us
Each tortured night
The lucky ones go
Into the only light

That shines on us
Where the Nazis choose
To exterminate all
Of the living Jews

That’s why this is happening
That’s why we breathe this foul air
That’s why my people suffer
My religion makes my life unfair

So what if I think differently?
What if my eyes are brown not bluish?
Look at who I was before
I was so much more than Jewish

I was a daughter and a sister
A lover and a friend
Too soon my family saw the grave
And put these titles to an end

I fear this hell cannot be blessed
I fear this cell is a lifelong friend
Soon no more beats inside my chest
Can you now hear its screeching end?

Not the first and not the last
More Jewish and gypsy souls will pass
Within this place they’ve made for death
Inside this room they’ve filled with gas

If you were to listen at the door
You’d hear the people say a prayer
“Sweet death please come more swiftly!”
Whispered into poisoned air . . .

What has this horror taught me?
-That there is nothing more to learn
When your heart is slowly stopped,
And your body left to burn.

garshongjasmine said...
Sept. 17, 2012 at 10:44 am:
hauntilngly beautiful!!!.. i was recently  reading a book about the holocaust and this made it feel  more personal and real... i pray nothing like this ever happens again...

BlueSunsetThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 17, 2012 at 3:57 am:
Absolutely amazing poem, gobsmacked with the vocabulary used and the soft way you've written it. The way you write it is as though you were Anne, which is astonishing because quite a few writers can't enter the mind of a famous person and write as though they were them. Well done! x

Dominique_ONeill said...
This poem is quite a breath-taker. Though you never lived through the Holocaust, I can nearly say that as I was reading this poem, I believed you were actually a part of the living Holocaust, during the time of its happening.. Congratulations on a work well done. God Bless, -Don

Aderes47 said...
This is a great poem! You capture very well the essence of the horror of the holocaust! It was also written very well. Simple yet elegant. Even though I am Muslim and not Jewish, I have great sympathy for the victims of the holocaust. Keep writing!

LifeWriteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I don't even know what to say. That was unbelievable. When I clicked on it I didn't expect to be very impressed, but this really resonated with me and I'm very touched. I will never truly understand what it was like to be a holocaust victim, but this made me feel something deep. Have you seen the movie Schindler's List? It is another incredible portrayal of a hero during that time period.

Unknown_Beauty said...
Sept. 7, 2012 at 11:39 am:
This was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! I felt the emotion with every word.

BloglessBlogger said...
WOW! I don't know what to say... It was beautiful, heartwrenching, and true. So many people died in those camps... If they did manage to survive the have scars, tattoos, and stories fro us to remember that horrendous time by. Some people claim the Holocaust is a hoax, how do you not understand this? Children were killed every day and parents were seperated from their families. So many people lost their lives... :-(

Nadds_67 said...
This poem was great!!! I loved everything about it, especially the rhyme! I love how the poem expresses alot of emotion, keep up the great work! I would love to read more from you, God bless!

lzcelloplayer said...
Wow! This poem really blew me away. I think you should definitely continue to write poetry because you really are able to evoke emotion very well through your writing. I also loved the rhythm and the flow of the poem. Keep up the good work! :D 

katieyoung18 said...
Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:46 am:
This is a great poem it protrayed everything with such detail it pulled me in and made me feel like I was hurting the same way..keep writing sruff like this your great. :)

abbadoo said...
Your poem conveyed a threshold of tearing emotions. I sincerely enjoyed reading it, not only because the Holocaust is such an intriguing time, but because you wrote it so well. Immense thanks for sharing your poem! 

KatsKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 25, 2012 at 5:47 pm:
This was really, really good. All of it was amazing, really. You captured it perfectly.

publicdomain said...
May 17, 2012 at 5:42 pm:
This is probably the best poem on this site. It is an amazing pertrayal of what the victims went through. 

Lizette said...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 3:33 pm:
that was positivly amazing!  you really took hold of some deep feelings there.  great job!  i really like how you developed the poem and it really told a story...keep it up!!

jonny123 said...
Feb. 27, 2012 at 1:28 pm:
that was truly amazing ive never truly thought of the holocaust through that perspective for ive been scared of what id have found thank you.

writingchickThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I cannot descirbe how incredibly amazing this was. I mean it was marvelous, fantastic, awesome, great and more. Not many (well really no) writing can make me tear up but this did. very very very very good :)

Aidyl said...
This is amazing! It's really easy to read and it expresses everything clearly, I love the last couple lines, they're beautiful.

Pillow said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 12:34 am:
This is an amazing poem. It's like a memoir from WW2, Truly. I've done alot of research on it all through school and other things and you really see all of the pain of the holocaust in your poem. :)

lostnhim said...
Apr. 10, 2010 at 11:11 am:
Wow. This is great! Keep writing, it will take you far.

Milo! said...
What a great piece. It’s so understandable. You made it really easy to see where you’re coming from. I hope you keep writing, because this is really good. You should check out some of my stuff. I think you would like it.