A Special Pair | Teen Ink

A Special Pair

By dncingdva94 SILVER, Grapevine, Texas
dncingdva94 SILVER, Grapevine, Texas

“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” - Audrey Hepburn

The harsh scent of hairspray encompasses their bodies as they stand behind the curtain, waiting for their turn to strut down the catwalk. Not a wrinkle or snag can be seen in their color-coordinating dresses and their make-up professionally done. Blisters grow on their feet as time passes, anticipation growing. The young girl, barely able to hold still, is ready for her moment to shine. The young woman, is excited to escort her niece. The guest announcer finally calls their names. The girls look at each other, smile and take hands. Together, they flounce down the runway that was specially designed for the wish charity fundraiser, turning and showing off their beautiful outfits. They are, aunt and niece, family, celebrating a special moment, all their own. The aunt is the hero to the niece, who, as they struck their final pose, knew she chose the right person, and would never forget their special time in the spotlight.