I Remember Youth

I remember eating frozen TV dinners like lasagna and linguini, and thinking they were gourmet, rich foods.
I remember sharing a flower quilted bed with my two cousins and exchanging secretes in giggles and whispers every night.
I remember snatching my grandpa’s jar of colorful, tasty jellybeans and eating them quietly while hiding behind the enormous recliner.
I remember having tea parties with my very first friend and endlessly fighting about who served the fluffiest, sweetest, and best muffins.
I remember hating my dorky, smudgy glasses and hopelessly trying to break or lose them at every chance I received.
I remember cleaning my aunt’s boat after a long weekend of fun and scorching temperatures, the smell of vinegar burning my nose and my tired arms aching from scrubbing the sides.
I remember the night my first sleepless night without my mom and dad in the same house.
I remember waking up the minute sunlight struck through my window every morning and sprinting outside in bare feet into my daddy’s arms to check on our Joshua tree.
And I remember the look of pain on my dad’s face as every morning as our tree failed to survive in the harsh desert climate that was my home in Lancaster, California.

celia<3 said...
Mar. 12, 2010 at 1:29 am
I like the part about lasagna. It made me hungry. What a fantastic author! Who on earth is this? ;)

enchanted4yu replied...
oh yes lasagna is great thanks sid for reading it

Emokittiycut This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wow!! i love this poem. i can totally relate to the jellybean scheme. who hasnt done that? lol. its absolutly darling. lol. if you dont mind me asking, r u a teen yourself?

enchanted4yu replied...
Feb. 27, 2010 at 12:53 am
thank you, I like doing silly little poems like this sometimes. It's a nice break from the serious stuff. Yes i am