How I Know That I Like You | Teen Ink

How I Know That I Like You

February 2, 2010
By Anonymous

I know that I like you because I smile just from thinking about you.
I know that I like you because every time I see someone with dark hair I think it’s you for a split second and I get really excited and then I realize it isn’t you and I’m disappointed
I know that I like you because I dream about you at night.
I know that I like you because if I didn’t like you I wouldn’t get more excited about seeing you than I am about the coming of Christmas.
I know that I like you because every time I see the first letter of your name it always stands for you in my mind.
I know that I like you because any time something funny happens, you’re the first person I want to tell about it.
I know that I like you every time your hand touches mine, even accidentally.
I know that I like you because I am myself around you.
I know that I like you because I can’t concentrate on anything else when you are in the room.
I know that I like you because I miss you after two seconds of not talking to you.
I know that I like you because sometimes when I’m at stop lights I’m too busy thinking about you to realize the light has turned green and I get honked at by the people behind me.
And I know that I like you because hearing you say goodbye is the saddest thing in the world.


The author's comments:
I think there's a definitive moment when you realize that you truly like or love someone. For me, the epiphany came while I was daydreaming in Astronomy Class, and I quickly scribbled this down in my notes. I hope it will remind others of this time in their own lives.