Definining Definitions This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Mom, stop telling me I'm making the right decisions.

I don't prove serendipity when I live my life
And I don't let my boat travel down a livid river without a paddle.

But I would never refuse a rebellious friend
Or avoid traveling downtown to find a quick way home.

There is always penumbra on my jungle path
Nevertheless I decide to continue, whether I go right or askew.

Whistling opinions flash by the car window
And traffic slows my certainty down.
I, however, have an endless supply of gasoline.

The thing is that I will grow no matter where you plant me.
I'll grow through your roof, next to your failure, and around your damaged trunk.
I do what I must to reach the corners of my cardboard box.

I have an easily molded teenage mind
I have an invincible teenage mind
Unlike the rest of the world, I can choose where it goes.

So Mom, I am not making the “right” decisions. I am making MY decisions.

babyrae said...

Wow. This is really awesome, and I can very much so relate.

I love the comparison to a growing plant, esp. "I will grow no matter where you plant me... next to your failure, and around your damaged trunk."

Really cool :)

soccerchickunc said...
this is really interesting i love the way you ended it...keep writing this is great you have major talent! could you possibly check out my poem an escape & give me feedback? thanks (:

Molly K. said...
Apr. 29, 2010 at 11:05 am
this is really a great piece! i like how you said it was just a way for you to explain, to try and make someone understand. i liked the imagry you used here also. look at some of my work if you have time, i think you might like it. keep writing!

little_miss_sunshine13 said...
hey-great poem. somtimes i feel like that with my mom. one more thing- i'm new here-how long did it take to get your poem online? i submitted it and am really anxious to see it. check it out when it does come up!

FONSI... This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 3, 2010 at 12:18 am
Sometimes it take a pretty long time. Never more than a month

thewriteidea This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This piece really made me think. I thought it was odd when you said, "stop telling me I'm making the right decisions." Usually people like hearing they made the right one, as opposed to the wrong decision. But then I realized the difference between the right one and YOUR one. It's a really thought-provoking poem and I enjoyed reading it. Check out some of my work, too if you'd like. Keep writing and great job!