Across My Universe | Teen Ink

Across My Universe

January 27, 2010
By Shannon Williams BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
Shannon Williams BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes, they call me on and on across the universe”

Across the universe I move and take with me a broken dream, I open up my eyes and I see the light beckoning me.

To a place where people live happy and free from all troubles; this is where I wish to be, across the universe.

Across the universe there lies a place where happiness, it rains, and troubles leave on every train; this is where I dream about.

In my dreams I see me happy, smiling big at everything; happiness, I long for you across the universe.

Across the universe I dream, and dream, and dream, and dream again. But all I ever do is dream, about my universe.

“Nothing’s gonna change my world” though, so I dream and dream again, I run away from my reality. I run across the universe.

Across the universe I run escaping from those that haunt me, I run and run and run away, but they gain and pull me slowly.

Slowly they pull me back to my awful, sad, reality. I fight them off, and fight my way across the universe.
Across the universe I fight, but they fight stronger and pull me back. I am restrained, I am hopeless, my universe is gone


(Acknowledgement: Lennon and McCartney)


The author's comments:
I was sitting at my computer one day, doing homework. I found a playlist on my computer that I had forgotton about, and decided to listen to it. I clicked the first song-Across the Universe, Jin Sturgess's version-and as soon as the first line started I had the strongest burst of inspiration I've ever had. I went into a word document, started writing, and this is what was created.