If I Were in Charge of the World This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

(Apologies to Judith Viorst)
If I were in charge of the world
My favorite flip-flops would never wear out.
There would be no books of poems with the
last page missing,
No hairy spiders to hide in the corners.
If I were in charge of the world
I would have a never-ending string of puddles
to jump in,
And mothers would never scold their children
for tracking mud halfway down the hall.
If I were in charge of the world
There would never be hungry but always satisfied,
Except in the classroom, where
There would be endless shelves of books to feed
voracious minds.
I would find a way to make it easier
For everyone to understand that sometimes the same
stars can make
multiple constellations,
And that Archimedes was right:
You can move the world if only you have a lever and
a place to stand.

PaperclipMonday said...
today at 12:52 pm:
Awesome poem.. Even awesomer if had a  little rhythm

EEKgirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 20 at 12:02 am:
This is beautiful. I love it. If only... 

BrandalynBoothThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Love this. the ending is beautiful. 

paralleldreamer said...
I love endings that make you think, the kind that stay with you for awhile. Yours certainly stayed with me. Great job :)

suvaaryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 23, 2013 at 1:18 am:
This is a beautiful peice of writing!I love it:D

Jessica W. said...
Pretty poem, really enjoyed it! I like the stanza on puddles and mother's not scolding children for being children...very real.  

Spruce15 said...
Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:38 am:
Dear carlmarks15--poets actually encourage aspiring writers to use cliche themes to 'get into the flow of it'.   I found that line about Archimedes interesting! And if the poet is supposed to tell readers what to imagine, won't they get bored?  In the end, it's the reader's interpretation of the poem that counts. Thanks! ~Spruce.

kyli3katThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:11 am:
No imagery? The whole poem itself is imagery. And maybe you're reading it wrong, because I definetely heard some flow in there. Also, it was quite rude of you to state that the only reason you gave this poem 1/5 is because you couldn't give it 0/5. A bit rude.   I thought this was a lovely poem full of beautiful imagery and ideas. My favorite part was the part about the constellations. 

carlmarks15 said...
Be more creative, I have heard this theme 1000 times but this isn't even a creative version, there is no flow or imagery or anything, nothing to like about this poem. The only reason I rated this poem as 1/5 is because I could't rate it 0/5. Cliche concept, overall horrific job. Good try though!

DemoDThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I remember for school one day we had to write something like that. I like it your way, I would totally live there... Also would animals and people have equal rights? I think that animals should rule over the people, well other than a few

RelativetoWriting said...
Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:44 am:
I like the way your poem triggers the idea of a utopian world without making it seem overly-idealistic. Commendable work!

sarah98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:59 pm:
this was inspiring and made me think about my ideal world, and the best poems are the ones that make you think

Gage1121 said...
Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:16 pm:
great poem. if u guys can please check out my work i wud love feedback if u can please comment and rate 

StarGazer9This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 31, 2013 at 9:17 pm:
I can track mud across the carpet in your world?! Sweeet...

DemoDThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:40 pm :
ya I know, it would be awesome!! I'm a mud baby... ... :3 MUDD!!

rhea752 said...
May 31, 2013 at 7:16 pm:
I wish I live in your world. Very nicely written

WriterHeadThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:08 pm:
your world sounds peaceful and filled with love!!! :)

CowboysAndAngels said...
Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:06 pm:
That was wonderful! You are a truley talented poet. If you don't mind, I would appriciate it if you could check out mine, I would love to hear what your feedback

BrandybuckTookThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:44 pm:
This poem makes me feel like with just a little imagination, anything is possible. Even being in charge of the world!

Picus. said...
Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:05 pm:
Outstanding. Good Job! I wish I could write like that. =/