If I Were in Charge of the World This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

(Apologies to Judith Viorst)
If I were in charge of the world
My favorite flip-flops would never wear out.
There would be no books of poems with the
last page missing,
No hairy spiders to hide in the corners.
If I were in charge of the world
I would have a never-ending string of puddles
to jump in,
And mothers would never scold their children
for tracking mud halfway down the hall.
If I were in charge of the world
There would never be hungry but always satisfied,
Except in the classroom, where
There would be endless shelves of books to feed
voracious minds.
I would find a way to make it easier
For everyone to understand that sometimes the same
stars can make
multiple constellations,
And that Archimedes was right:
You can move the world if only you have a lever and
a place to stand.

mads1827 said...
today at 6:21 pm:
I believe this poem is extrodinary and you are going places.

MissEmilyDickinsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 27 at 2:47 pm:
Your poem is inspiring and has a lot of truth, also. Alos, congrats on having this published. You deserve it. 

Sep. 27 at 2:26 pm:
Oh, wow. I love this. It's amazing. You have such a talent and greatness in you; believe that becuase you do. Thank you so much, for sharing this. 

thefailureofhopes said...
Jun. 9 at 6:27 am:
I love this poem, how it doesn't rhyme but flows throughout perfectly - bbbbeautiful :)

DragonAmericaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 18 at 5:24 pm:
I have one word for this poem: AMAZING! (and an emoticon) XD

ShadowPenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 18 at 4:44 pm:
Gorgeous free verse. I could feel the flusteredness of the writer. I actually really enjoy the fact it didnt have rhythm. because life itself is not a mix of patterns and rhyms. life is so much more complicated. and you wrote it beautifully. Please, keep writing.

doriiiiiiiii said...
May 12 at 10:16 am:
why is everyone talking abou t"beautiful"

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 26 at 9:00 pm:
Really deep and meaningful. I liked this, but I think maybe a little rhythm and rhyme could've made it a lot better. Don't get me wrong; I love this. I really do. Maybe you could add some variation to it by adding more poetic devices and stuff, but it's really cool so far. Good job!

PaperclipMonday said...
Mar. 13 at 12:52 pm:
Awesome poem.. Even awesomer if had a  little rhythm

EEKgirl said...
Feb. 20 at 12:02 am:
This is beautiful. I love it. If only... 

BrandalynBoothThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Love this. the ending is beautiful. 

paralleldreamer said...
I love endings that make you think, the kind that stay with you for awhile. Yours certainly stayed with me. Great job :)

suvaary said...
Nov. 23, 2013 at 1:18 am:
This is a beautiful peice of writing!I love it:D

Jessica W. said...
Pretty poem, really enjoyed it! I like the stanza on puddles and mother's not scolding children for being children...very real.  

Spruce15 said...
Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:38 am:
Dear carlmarks15--poets actually encourage aspiring writers to use cliche themes to 'get into the flow of it'.   I found that line about Archimedes interesting! And if the poet is supposed to tell readers what to imagine, won't they get bored?  In the end, it's the reader's interpretation of the poem that counts. Thanks! ~Spruce.

kyli3katThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:11 am:
No imagery? The whole poem itself is imagery. And maybe you're reading it wrong, because I definetely heard some flow in there. Also, it was quite rude of you to state that the only reason you gave this poem 1/5 is because you couldn't give it 0/5. A bit rude.   I thought this was a lovely poem full of beautiful imagery and ideas. My favorite part was the part about the constellations. 

carlmarks15 said...
Be more creative, I have heard this theme 1000 times but this isn't even a creative version, there is no flow or imagery or anything, nothing to like about this poem. The only reason I rated this poem as 1/5 is because I could't rate it 0/5. Cliche concept, overall horrific job. Good try though!

DemoDThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I remember for school one day we had to write something like that. I like it your way, I would totally live there... Also would animals and people have equal rights? I think that animals should rule over the people, well other than a few

RelativetoWritingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:44 am:
I like the way your poem triggers the idea of a utopian world without making it seem overly-idealistic. Commendable work!

sarah98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:59 pm:
this was inspiring and made me think about my ideal world, and the best poems are the ones that make you think