Ode to the Alarm Clock This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Every morning I lie there sleeping,
When my peace is destroyed by a god-awful beeping.
My dreams shattered, sudden and drastic,
By this evil, awful, red-eyed chunk of plastic.

I roll over in pain and hammer on the snooze,
Grumbling, groaning, thinking 'Why must this thing torture me so?'
'Don't make me get up, just five minutes more!'
The same thing I've said every morning before.

It's not that I'm not a morning person, or that I dread the coming day,
It's just that I hate waking up in this way!
I'd much rather rise up along with the light,
Shining through the window, glowing, beaming, bright.

But the sudden screaming, the unbearable fuss,
Makes me want to scream, cry, and even begin to cuss!
Especially the knowledge that all of my sorrow
Will be repeated the same time, same way, tomorrow.

Lindsay W. said...
Feb. 4, 2010 at 8:48 am
o i know i cuss at my alarm clock

Z-Saber said...
Feb. 3, 2010 at 9:35 am
I feel the same way

freeze56 said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:22 am
I hate alarm clocks but this poem is very good and very welll written.

crswimfreak50 said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:18 am
i really like this poem because i can relate to it! i have the same experience every morning even on the weekends sometimes. you never want to get up and sometimes your having this great dream and the alarm goes off! i hate the alarm clock, but i love your poem

rasmak said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:16 am
This is a fun poem that made me laugh out loud. The rhyming style really fits with the light-hearted content.

bootzie-bday said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:15 am
This is so true! My alarm clock makes my morning crazier than it should be. Good job, author! :)

DalekJast This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:13 am
This poem is great! I can totally relate; I'm woken up every morning by the annoying alarm clock.

ChicaHUHH?! said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:11 am
This is so great, I know exactly how you feel! Like right when you're in the middle of an amazing dream and you hear the annoying alarm clock, it's dreadful! Love how you incorporated rhyming into your poem too, it's like a secret ingredient.

bayard said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:11 am
This is awesome angry gopher just does'nt understand

kelseym26 said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:10 am
This is fantastic! I really got hooked into it because it rhymed. Good job with rhyming it all together. Keep up the writing! (:

lizzy96 said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:06 am
this is good...good job putting your emotions into words and making them rhyme...that is what i struggle with.

McFerry24 said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:06 am
Ohhh my goodness!! Hahaha i love this poem!!!! Its soo true!! I hate getting up in the morning the alram clock. I always feel like i get hit by a train. Its so loud and makes me feel horribel. I love your choice of words and i think you have a lot of talent! Keep it up!

holy_crazy_man911 said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:06 am
alarm clocks are annoying they make me crazy. But great story though

cmanning21 said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:06 am
This poem is great! I definately understand how you feel with the annoying alarm clock thing. Great job!

Silverwolf14 said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:05 am
I can totally understand the silence being shattered every morning by a piece of plastic. Great poem!

stopper19 said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:02 am
This is soo funny because this is the way I wake up every morning and I always wish there was another way to wake up. A more peaceful way that would leave me in a good mood. This was a great poem!

JohnSheridan4 said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:02 am
This is so real. I can relate to you perfectly, you have every detail down to the dreams that the alarm clock shatters.

Christalina_Stuart said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:01 am
I agree with this Ode. I use to use an alarm clock every morning for 6 o clock. I then switched to using my cell phone on vibrate so I would not have to endure that annoying beeping. It still haunts me to this day.......

AngryGopher said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:01 am
Alarm clock make AngryGopher mad! AngryGopher smash!!!

Sarabi_The_Great said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:00 am
Fabulous! Really creative! You're right, I feel the exact same way; I hate my alarm clock! Very well done!