Ode to the Alarm Clock This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Every morning I lie there sleeping,
When my peace is destroyed by a god-awful beeping.
My dreams shattered, sudden and drastic,
By this evil, awful, red-eyed chunk of plastic.

I roll over in pain and hammer on the snooze,
Grumbling, groaning, thinking 'Why must this thing torture me so?'
'Don't make me get up, just five minutes more!'
The same thing I've said every morning before.

It's not that I'm not a morning person, or that I dread the coming day,
It's just that I hate waking up in this way!
I'd much rather rise up along with the light,
Shining through the window, glowing, beaming, bright.

But the sudden screaming, the unbearable fuss,
Makes me want to scream, cry, and even begin to cuss!
Especially the knowledge that all of my sorrow
Will be repeated the same time, same way, tomorrow.

Wishes-do-come-true said...
this is amazing, so funny and relatable. I love the simplicity of it and the rhyme scheme works really well :)

HPRGSuperFan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Yes. Just...yes.

fxxxx This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:09 am
this is great lol :)

Chase S. said...
Oct. 22, 2012 at 8:25 am
I agree with this poem on how it shows that we hate the alarm clock. I personally don't have an alarm clock because I "accidentally" hit snooze button too hard and broke it.

my.freedom.lies.in.free.verse This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It's a great idea, and I love how it rhymes, but the rhyme scheme is broken by the 2nd stanza...

ZaneA said...
I really enjoy this because I can completely relate :p

. said...
I love it! Someone said it's not very deep, and that may be true, but does it have to be? Simplicity can be good. I love the rhythm of this poem. I love how I can relate to it. I love the word choice. It's amazing, if you ask me.(:

hgw66 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
amazing and so creative. i love it

avidDreamwriter said...
In all honesty, this poem had no depth to it and didn't really make me think much. But, it did seem to have a mature tone that everyone could connect to, having been in the same situation at some point or every day. Your poem is somewhat different from the normal things that people can and will write about, which is okay, but it's still rather boring to write about a person complaining about their alarm clock. Nothing about this poem made me think deeper than "okay, a person is... (more »)

Emin3mAC said...
Very funny! I loved it! keep it up!  

PAIGEExD replied...
Sept. 11, 2012 at 10:55 am
Truly marvelous Casey! xD

abbadoo said...
I have a piece with a very similar theme to this. In other words, it was completely understandable. Nice work!

J1029This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 31, 2012 at 10:52 am
I agree. I don't care if I wake up early I just dont want to wake up to a loud alarm.

FlashlevitationThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 31, 2012 at 10:19 am
Most relatable article ever

Aduke9 said...
Beautifully written. I can totally relate :)

djsadjaskcka said...
May 1, 2012 at 7:58 am

There is a lot of stanzas

There is a good rhythm

ShadowLily said...
Ha! I completely identify with this poem! Am I the only one who tries to wake up mega-early and then sets their alarm for ten minutes prior to having to leave? It's a thing I do.

ZhadaMone said...
You're really talentd : )

teamo14 said...
Apr. 17, 2012 at 10:11 am
I relate to it :) amazing poem.

Earth2Kelskels said...
Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:28 am
LOL I really liked this! Very relatable.