Where I'm From

I am from the time of cell phones, from Purell and tide-to-go.
I am from the house with the cat on the mail box.
I am from the family who can’t seem to grow tomatoes, and the family that doesn’t have flowers, in fear that the cats will eat them.
I am from the family that draws a shank bone instead of having a real one for our Passover plate, and the family who wears glasses, from Regina and Rae and Chaim and Bela Loigman.
I am from the avid readers and New Jersey vacation goers.
I’m from the never forget who you are and don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.
I am from Judaism. I remember the six million who perished in the Holocaust, and pass that knowledge on.
I am from Alexandria, Virginia by way of Hungary, macaroni and cheese and latkes.
From the time my cousin Ryan bit the table at the Ritz Carlton Hotel, to getting make up on my cousin Monique’s floor, and the time when my brother accidentally flung a sausage at my dad.
I am from Cape May, where there are memories I will never forget. From meeting my pen pal Mary, to seeing dolphins out in the ocean, and the picture perfect moment of my brother Michael and I at dusk on the boardwalk.
I am a nineties baby growing up in the 21st century, where everyone knows who Harry Potter is, and can Google things they don’t know.

P B & Jelly said...
I love this poem. Great Job!

Rachel S. replied...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 11:06 am
Thank you so much!