I AM FROM

By , Kennewick, WA
I am from Irma and Ricardo; Petra, Salvador, Maria De Jesus, and Pablo; Antonia, Hisidro, Nicolasa,…
From the closest to nature and God that one could ever be,
From no running water and no electricity to realizing I can’t live without either.
I am from harvest growers, with family unity, who depend on nature’s goods for survival.
I’m from keeping to oneself, following strict family traditions, and lacking guts to express our real emotions.
From the native Mexicans to the Spaniards, who invaded.
I’m from one, tender, “Te quiero” to another.
I’m from respect your elders, go to church every Sunday, and pray the rosary every night,
From cultivators to livestock and plantation owners; tailors, small business owners, and hourly workers.
I’m from walking, riding animals to riding the bus, and riding in vehicles to driving my own car.
I’m from spend time with your own family, friends, and self and write your own life story,
I’m from farm animals, snakes, insects, turtles, and singing birds.
I’m from living on one side of the “Rio Bravo” to the other,
From observe the sky for weather reports and time of day
From traditional music to today’s musical creations,
I’m shaping who I am by continuing my cultural traditions and integrating myself into a new culture

butterflygirl said...
Please leave comments/feedback. Thanks

Powd3er said...
This poem has great flow and insight.
I really enjoyed it.
Lovely poem darling =]
-Please check out the works that I have posted on here it would be highly appreciated and I think you would greatly enjoy them, Thankk youz-
XxIll tell you Im an orphan after you meet myy familyXx