The Unforgiving Self Being . . . | Teen Ink

The Unforgiving Self Being . . .

January 6, 2010
By 10bwood0 BRONZE, Russellville, Kentucky
10bwood0 BRONZE, Russellville, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Scared of affection, I strive to be perfect. Wondering what people really think of me. Casting my cares on what seems to be an unforgiving page. Written with ink and blood, I face the world. Unable to match their selfish demands, I march faithfully to the door . . . Do I enter? NO! For fear of rejection, I turn away. Carelessly throwing away any opportunities I may have had. The worst part being how I am so blissfully unaware of what im doing. What ive done. Why under pressure I crumble. What do I have to prove? What is it that I feel I need from others SO BAD, that I am willing to risk my life, and others, to get it?


The author's comments:
This poem took me a total of three days to write. I would write it right before I would go to sleep, including all of the major things that happened during the day. This is the first real poem ive ever really worked on. Im a senior at Logan County High School in Russellville, KY. My AP English teacher taught a lesson on poetry that actually was the inspiration for this poem. The message I really want to send in this poem is the importance of being one's self. Knowing who you are, and sticking with it. Even when everyone turns on you, you will ALWAYS have yourself!