I Am From | Teen Ink

I Am From

By Devin Bishop BRONZE, Columbus, Montana
Devin Bishop BRONZE, Columbus, Montana

I am from laughter,
and personal gatherings
Hard working parents, lovely goal-setting individuals, that have different ideas.
Nice clothes and warm homes,
separated parents and families are where I'm from.

I am from "do well in school"
and "your not average, your better."
From an easy goin' mom and a non-stop dad. A successful family is where I'm from.

I am from fancy restaurants with mom and basic foods at dad's.
From my Italian roots to my Spanish leaves,
my heritage, crazy and fun, is wild and free.
Heinz 57 is where my blood is from.

If you knew me, you would know that I'm from Arizona,
but I'm a person who travels and lives places besides that.
I am from my family and the personalities that they shine on me.

This was one of the first pieces 7th period had experimented with in our writer's notebooks, of coarse that is including myself. As always, Sadie had a question to what we were doing causing Mr. Olsen to give a big sigh and drag his feet across the carpet to her enjoyment. The rest of our class went into deep silence and turned thoughts into words on paper. Together we created our lives into perfect harmony and became mostly proud of what we wrote.

Next we were asked to share what we wrote with two to three people (leaving nobody left out). I shared my piece and got many complements on my line " From my Italian roots to my Spanish leaves, my heritage, crazy and fun, is wild and free." I also felt this was a good line that turned a real life object into a structure for explaining who I am. This piece has to be one of the good ones in this memoir, but there was the last stanza that I still really don't care for, "If you knew me, you would know that I'm from Arizona,but I'm much more and from other places besides that.
I am from my family and the personalities that they have." It really turns a nice flowing state of mind into a blah blah group of words that I think I will fix later.

I try to turn my pieces into ideas that the people who read them can connect to me in some way. I believe this piece turns my life, which is millions of pages long, into a group of words that can really give a feeling of growing up with me. Everything is not perfect such as the words in this piece, but they get the job done right!

DB