The Day it Rained | Teen Ink

The Day it Rained

By color-me-happy BRONZE, Austin, Minnesota
color-me-happy BRONZE, Austin, Minnesota

Viva la Revolution!

The Day it Rained

The day it rained was a day beyond the ordinary.
As the water poured down from skies blanketed with clouds, I ran first to the window
And then outside.
It was as if the stars above were crying with joy and Earth was opening its arms to catch their fallen tears.
There was no angry thunder, no flickers of bright lightening. There was just rain,
as I had hoped.
As my mind came alive for the first time in my life,
I realized how ignorant and clouded my view of nature had been.
All that mattered now was the unwavering pounding of raindrops on my face, so much that it started to hurt,
but gloriously so.
Every blade of grass seemed to grow before my eyes, every flower got a little more vibrant, and every color around me seemed more vivid.
Suddenly everything in life,
every material possession,
every empty goal we strive for,
revealed itself to be meaningless.
Every step I took felt like I was plummeting into the unknown, for beauty so natural and magnificent rarely presents itself in today’s world. I couldn’t fathom why anyone would stay inside, when such a priceless event occurred.
I could hold the terrible beauty of it in my mind forever.
If the rain would go on till the end of days,
it would not be long enough.
There are few words for such an experience.

My love of the rain inspired me to write this poem. I hope readers of this poem will recognize the haunting beauty of this natural occurrence.

GOlacieGO GOLD said...
on Nov. 25 2009 at 9:43 am
GOlacieGO GOLD, Lawrenceburg, Indiana

"I want a life that sizzles and pops and makes me laugh out loud. I want my everyday to make God belly laugh, glad that he gave life to someone who loves the gift, who will use it up and wring it out and drag it around like a favorite sweater." -SN

Such good description.

Keep writing. :]