“Daughters & Mother’s” * From the “The Cord” by Leanne O’Sullivan | Teen Ink

“Daughters & Mother’s” * From the “The Cord” by Leanne O’Sullivan

October 27, 2009
By pshhitsally BRONZE, Chalfont, Pennsylvania
pshhitsally BRONZE, Chalfont, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Don't Give Someone Your Everything, Because When Your Everything Is Gone You'll Have Nothing Left - Ally dasch


I used to lie around and wait for a call all night with the phone in my hand.
I used to try to surprise you with dinner, but all I would get was a plate of cold rice.
I used to wait at my locker with school books to my right,
I spoke to you walking to class because I was so happy were mine.
The memory I will never forget, nor regret, is lying on the basket ball court with the stars above us, talking about our secrets, and life.
We talked into the heart of the night.
We were just about to fall more deep in love than what we had.
My mother always told me to fall to fast but a boy like you is hard to resist.
This summer comes around and you’re not there.
No more talks on the beach, no more good morning calls.
Moms know best there always right.
She said I deserved the best but I thought he was the best.
These were the elements of my mother.

The author's comments:
I chose this poem because my mother is one of the most important people in my life. I always want to write about her but I can never pick just one think that she does. There is so many wonderful things my mother has done for me. She always knows what’s best. I never listen to her but in the long run she is always right. I took highlighted words from “The Cord” by Leanne O’Sullivan and wrote my own poem dedicating it to my mother. I found “The Cord” to be one of my favorite poems we have written in class. I like how anyone can relate to it because most mothers make the world go round.