Was it Worth It?

When you give, give, and give,
Do you expect something in return?
When you pour out yourself to someone else,
Do you anticipate the same response?
When you share your secrets and dreams,
Do you want to hear theirs as well?
When they don't care,
When their actions become hypocritical to their words,
When the move on to someone else, When they tell you that you are the only one,
Yet you see all the others,
When the doubts become reality, And they have no clue,
Are they oblivious, uncaring, confused?
While you patiently wait,
Is the relationship over?
Was it worth the pain,
Worth the heartache,
Worth the anxiety,
For those few moments of friendship,
The rare glimpses of sunshine,
The occasional smile,
Or passing glance,
The hours of conversation,
The trying times,
When no one else was there,
They were,
But they have forgotten,
All about you,
All about the things you went through together,
Was it worth it?

kittkattbarr said...
This is really good, I understand completely where your coming from. And Sometimes I say yes it was worth it still is worth the pain. But sometimes I think I've hurt myself one to many times for it to matter. But I just can't leave them behind... So I keep it up no matter what. 

kittkattbarr replied...
oh you should also check out some of my work, I think you might like it :)

pinkvolleyballgirl said...
Thanks so much for all the comments:)

alfavetta said...
Oct. 20, 2009 at 6:52 am
But sometimes it is better to let go, especially when the other seems to already be slipping away.

pinkvolleyballgirl replied...
But would you really let someone down by leaving them? If you are another person's encouragement, you cant just abandon them. Nice thoughts. "A friend loves at all times"

alfavetta replied...
But when the other is already letting go, isn't just easier to let them go and be who they want to be, instead of trying to hang on to them?

pinkvolleyballgirl replied...
Oct. 25, 2009 at 11:09 am
If YOU are the one pulling them down, absolutely let them go! I agree completely. I thought you were talking about a situation where another person was drifting away from you, so you just give up on their friendship when times get tough. If you are hindering their life, let them go. But if you are just giving up on them and leaving, no no no. :)

alfavetta replied...
Yes, but still...if another person is drifting away from you, why hang on?

pinkvolleyballgirl replied...
Its debatable. I guess it depends on what your standards are, morally and socially. I say dont give up on them. And my standards are based on biblical principles. Your opinion can be totally based on something else though. This piece is my opinion. THanks for all your comments!

anotherromanctic This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
no.
a healthy realtionship will have crappy times, but there should be more happiness than not.
this is awesome, though(:

pinkvolleyballgirl replied...
It would be ideal to have more happy times than not. But sometimes the most valuable relationships take the most work. The ones that seem to be taking all your energy and time and effort will turn out to be a strong relationship from going through all the trials. A good friend gives and doesnt expect anything in return, though that is such a challenge. I wasnt thinking about that when i wrote this poem. I was mad at someone for not giving me the attention i felt like i deserved as the person... (more »)

pinkvolleyballgirl said...
The answer is yes it is worth it. Friendship isnt about what you can get from others, but what you can give to them. And though it may seem like your encouragement is fruitless, God will reward you for your diligence and effort. Dont give up on anyone:)