A Poem for Gertrude This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Plagiarism is a crime
I'd never commit
Though it's quite easy
I admit

You scrawled down
my poem during last week's slam
All I have to say is Damn

How could you,
Little beaky, meek, feeble,
Goggle-eyed Gertrude
Have the disrespect to
Rob me of my own words?

You did not feel the way I did
When I wrote “Petal by petal” in my journal
You did not feel accomplished
Or satisfied, or angry, or confused by your own
Words and emotions

You took a pen to your notepad
Listened intently to my recitation
And claimed it as your own

You have no attachment to it
How could you? It was my story to tell
I look at your ugly face
And wish you'd go to hell

bieberl0ve15 said...
Wow. Just wow. :)

punksk8rgurll said...
This is good. You basically told who ever this was aimed at that you wouldn't let them copy down your work without finding a way to make them feel bad.

AlwaysWrite28 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thank you for your comments! This was actually selected for the print mag, so check it out next issue!

NeverJuliet said...
It lacks finesse and subtlty but punches whoever it's about in the face and gets straight to the point. No beating around the bush; I admire it!

GreeGree said...
Your poem really touched my heart, because I've had something similiar happen to me. Poems, words, phrases...all of them are special and unique to one person. To have someone steal the words out of your mouth is an awful thing, and if Gertrude does it again, sock her one upside the head. Plaguerism is and ugly crime, and bravo to you. You're poetry is something unique to you, and I love your own writing style. That, your writing style, is one thing Gertrude can never claim. Awesome poem, love it!