A lost friend, close to the heart, far from the eyes | Teen Ink

A lost friend, close to the heart, far from the eyes

By ashley123 SILVER, Goodyear, Arizona
ashley123 SILVER, Goodyear, Arizona

You have to choose which bridges to cross, and which to burnn.

I remember my father, an assertive man, demanding for the worn out shovel,

I remember asking him politely to let me complete this task,

I remember holding the shovel tightly between my blistered hands,

I remember heaving the shovel into the loose soil, underneath the array of green leaves and soft colored flowers, a mixture of purple and yellow,

I remember the tears that fell from my eyes, turning the soul from a rich brown to a dark musty color,

I remember dropping the shovel to my bare feet, the grass a soft color, glistening off the pale sky,

I remember staring, for the longest time, knowing this was the end,

I remember setting the boxes into the shallow grave, my soul breaking at the sight of the white box disappearing beneath the earth,

I remember reaching for the shovel once more, my arms weak, overturning the dry soil,

I remember looking toward the sky, seeing it turn from a pale shade of black to a vibrant mixture of yellow, orange, and red,

But most of all I remember saying it is time to say goodbye to yesterday and hello to today because on this day my lost friend becomes a memory, lost in the wave of time.

My hamsters passed away every time a holiday approached. It took a toll on my heart and tears fell steadilyat every holiday for my lost companions. this is for them, in memory of their presence on earth.

on Oct. 7 2009 at 3:35 pm
Annabelle7614, Nunyabusiness, Georgia

This is my favorite personal quote.

Very cool! I like the emotion you put into this! And the overall story was very good too! Keep writing!