The City This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Thousands of strangers brusquely pass each other down the same freshly dampened sidewalk
An angry businessman shouts into his cell phone
While an oncoming taxi screeches to a halt nearly hitting a jaywalking pedestrian
Puffing a cigarette, a homeless woman rolls her eyes at the giggling teenage girl tightly hugging her Gucci purse
The musty polluted air fills the lungs of a mother “expecting” as she sits at an outdoor cafe sipping orange juice and rubbing her protruding belly
A retired preacher calls out scriptures faithfully only to have his voice engulfed by the pounding stereo system of a rebelling high school drop-out
The pitter-patter of rain begins to fall once again, creating puddles in the street
Umbrellas pop open softening the harsh city tones
Silence sweeps over for briefly a millisecond
Before it returns to its sameness
Blurring through time in itself

the_Horsegirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Maybe a little too wordy in some places (like the 4th, 6th or 8th lines) I   really really like the last five lines.Overall, very nice poem.

Kay4theRoses said...

when your describing the people, is my favorite.

if anyone wants to read, comment, and rate my stuff- ill return the favor.

Alice28 said...
I like this one. thats how i feel about my city sometimes...