A longingness for wonder | Teen Ink

A longingness for wonder

November 6, 2023
By Kylepierson28 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Kylepierson28 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Everyone has a place they want to go.

They think about this place as if it would be so perfect.

But is this place a reality or just a longing for somewhere to call home?

This place we think of is unique for each individual.

It is a place of wonder and greatness.


I feel the longingness in my life.

It is as if I should be in that place we call home right now.

It is a nice place, I just don’t know what it is.

I feel the presence, but don’t know how to get there.

I can picture it in my brain, but just can’t quite put it into words.


Everyone wants to be there—or maybe our home is already found.

For me I can feel the cold, crisp air slashing my cheek.

It feels mountainous with much to explore.

It also feels like I miss something, like I should be there right now.

I can picture a calm setting with a thrilling piece to pull it together.


This place that I would do anything to call home would never be perfect.

The sights wouldn’t be as breathtaking as the first time.

Maybe this place isn’t even real.

But even if I could never call this place home, it feels like I need to chase after it.

It is a place I could call home.


The author's comments:

The backstory of my poem is coming from my love for the mountains and states like Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado.  Two years ago my family and I took a trip to one of the ski and snowboard capitals of the world, Salt Lake City.  Being this immersed in the wonders of such spectacular mountains felt like heaven on earth.  We would take long winding roads into the snow covered mountains as we approached the ski resorts.  It was truly amazing how any of this could be real.  The most amazing part was when we got to the top of the hill and all we had left to do was ski down the snow covered mountain. I feel like just my passion for the snow and activities really influence multiple pieces that I write.  It is something that I enjoy writing about and gives me the opportunity to express something that I love.