Using Time | Teen Ink

Using Time

October 12, 2023
By imsydn3y_c BRONZE, Sleepy Hollow, New York
imsydn3y_c BRONZE, Sleepy Hollow, New York
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Every day, hour, minute, and second is an opportunity

“There’s no time to waste” is a popular expression with a similar memo

“You only live once” is another

The intention of these expressions is to motivate people to start what they want to do now and to see it through, but what it really does is encourage constant labor.


To restate, “Every day, hour, minute and second is an opportunity” 

So every day, hour, minute, and second spent unproductive is a squandered opportunity.

“There’s no time to waste” truly implies that every moment of time should be used doing something fruitful, something wonderful, because otherwise it is useless.

“You only live once” is another way of saying “You only have one shot to do this correctly.”

You were presented with one of the most rarest and the most coveted things: a chance

And you throw it away every time you are not working.


Are you tired? Are you stressed? Are you overwhelmed and anxious to the point that you feel everything will come crashing down regardless of your efforts?

“Take a break!” they exclaim

“You need to rest!” they beg

“Prioritize your health!” they plead.

But you know better not to listen to them.

You know their intentions are pure but their requests are foolish

You cannot pause, you cannot stop

You have hopes to fulfill, goals to achieve, and dreams to live!

Exhaustion is a reward, a symbol of your work

And you should think of it fondly.


You are ambitious, you are determined

You live your life to its full potential.

That is something to be happy about, right?

Something you should want to do, right?

It is worth it, right?


Every day, hour, minute, and second is an opportunity, so why not take it?

“There’s no time to waste” so use it wisely.

“You only live once” so live life to its fullest to be able to look back at your life proudly.


The author's comments:

In a time where competitive college applications are the norm, it's only natural to feel stressed. Everyone is told to push themselves, to do everything they can; little do they know how damaging the implications can be on students.