I Took One Look And... | Teen Ink

I Took One Look And...

By noemysantana SILVER, New York, New York
noemysantana SILVER, New York, New York

some infinities are bigger than other infinities

I took one look and lost myself instantly, caught up with the thought that things will change, maybe I've been growing, maybe I've been changing but I still feel stuck in the same place.

As if time has been paused and replayed. 

I'm lost, I'm tired, I'm drained. 

What lesson am I not getting? Why do I long for love? I mean, pain?

What would my life be like if I was raised by my parents? Would they have protected me? Would they have helped me? Would I still be trying to fill a void inside me? 

The truth is my questions will never be answered. I'm forced to figure things out, trying to understand, trying to grow. But how can you bring a seed into this world and not water or nurture it? How can you bring me to this world and expect me to raise, feed, teach, and love myself?

One look.

It’ll only take one look to see I'm unstable.

It took one look and I fell in love

I didn't know who you were but I saw the inner child inside you.  Forced to be raised by the streets because your momma is working two jobs to make ends meet. And ya dad, comes from time to time.  And your living conditions have been unstable. Moving in and out of homes because the rent was too expensive. Your roughness is caused by being raised in violence. Guns, drugs, and death was what you were surrounded with. 

I actually don't know how true this is but with one look I saw you scream for help. And I don't know if hurt people love hurt people or they think they can save people but I thought I could save you. Maybe I  could calm your storm. I wanted to undress your unconsciousness, and hold you because I know what it is like to feel alone. I know what it is like trying to make anything  “home.”

It took one look to see your just like me 

It took one look to see we are a product of our environment.

This poem/free write stemmed from a prompt given to me by my professor on the first day of my creative writing class. The prompt is "I took one look and..."