Grandpa This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Seconds ago I stood
with your lips to my ear,
the phone cord wrapped around
my index finger, praying
in monotone (not again
not again please not now); today
I am gossamer and
the strangest silence,
staring at the rained-over,
trampled-on
forget-me-nots
bordering the bottom of
your granite-and-marble memorial
(I could run for miles and miles and
never get any farther away from myself
than I am right now)

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the September 2007 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

bigE said...
Dec. 11, 2014 at 8:54 am
i think this poem is very heartwarming, im sorry for the loss of your grandfather im really inspired by your poem and i hope you inspire others to write about similar tradgedies they have gone through.

ShahiroThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oh my! there is so much emotion in this.... I give you my compliments! keep writing.... ps. please check out my work....

the_Horsegirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is gorgeously written. It made a very strong impact on me. Great job!

Hummingbird This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this almost made me cry. the image that you paint with your words is just soo beautiful. could you maybe give me some feedback on my work? I will be sure and check out more of your awesome works!!

Joegirl2418 said...
i like the last line in parentheses, this is great work.

KathleenE. said...
This is really striking and powerful. I love the contrast and how you put little asides in parentheses. Well done!