Rebellion | Teen Ink

Rebellion

November 17, 2020
By GRHershey21 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
GRHershey21 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"In a society that profits off your self-doubt, liking yourself is a rebellious act." - Caroline Caldwell


A textbook case of immaturity and moodiness,

lurking in dark corners, eyes trained on glowing screens.

Enticed by words and unafraid of danger,

running with faces in the wind while the Earth

falls apart at their heels.


A vessel of joy and unruliness.

A group all alike, but not one average teenager.


These children have never been children.

Surviving in a world where toys are not toys, but weapons.

Colors are not colors, but statements.

Earth is not Earth, but the means of production.


Silenced by numb, empty promises by complicit generations:

“You’ll understand when you’re older.”

“You are too young to know what you’re talking about.”

“Children should be seen and not heard.”


The hour of discontent and rebellion has struck.

Armies of future citizens, future adults

weaponizing troublesome juvenile idealism,


Fortifying a romanticized future,

eager faces springing from the cracks of a divided house,

insatiable hunger no longer satisfied by waiting and dreaming.


Scattering the ashes of an outdated lifestyle

a code of silence and standing by

and waiting for benevolence

and praying for a survivable future.


Rowdy teenagers, the latest threat to a despondent system.


The author's comments:

This poem was inspired by the riots that took place in March 2020. Watching them on the news and hearing how outraged my conservative father was at the idea that police could be corrupt. Seeing everyone's reactions kept bringing me back over and over again to David Haug, Emma Gonzales, and Greta Thunberg. Like the Black Lives Matter movement, my father was (and still is) extremely dismissive of the new voices born into this world kicking and screaming.

 

This poem came from a place of rage, originally a three page, an angry manifesto written in rhyme and verse. I am thankful to have never experienced discrimination based on my race, but I have seen time and time again the dismissive attitudes of people like my father. I want people to finally understand that the time of age equalling respect and age equalling wisdom is over because the children that are going to inherit the Earth are tired of it. 

 

This poem is the best I've ever written, and the only one I've ever revised. I find that my peers are intimidated by my work, and they have told me that verbatim many times. Peer analysis does nothing for me because the rough draft is intimidating enough to subdue criticism. For once I successfully revised a poem into something better than it started off as, and I want to show the pride I feel from this poem.