You Are From | Teen Ink

You Are From

By Leximorgan33 SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Leximorgan33 SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

To the girl who needs to remember her roots,

You are from a quiet ranch house with a dying dog, living with grandparents who are too nosy, and a mother who depends on them. A single mother who had you too early and learned to cook too late. Who never got the education she deserved because of a bad decision. You are from a father too afraid to care for you, leaving your mother to fend for herself. Who’s found himself spending a night behind bars more times than you can count. 

You are from a neighborhood, hidden and hollow, running down the hill the neighbor boy and you use to tube down in the winter. A doorbell would ring, the door would open, and his smiling face would be there, waiting for you. Your first true friend. The boy you miss so dearly, yet you still share that big hill. 

You are from a working family, smart and strong. One makes medicine, the other builds machines, and two are accountants. You are from this private family where you know you don’t belong. You don’t think you’re that smart, you don’t believe you are strong enough to build a machine. 

You are from somewhere in your imagination that you wrote down on paper. A place that is perfect in every aspect, with people who will not lie or pretend. You are from this place but forced to live your fictional life through the eyes of a character and not you. That is where you wish you were from.

Sincerely,

The character from your imagination

My name is Lexi. I am a Junior at Arrowhead High School. I love to write, read, and create. This piece is a little glimpse into my mind, the imagination of a writer.